• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS upgrade for LG Eve !!!!

sorry to bump an old thread, but has there been any news about a android update for the gw260 yet?

Im on Tmobile uk , if that makes any difference.

my first android phone, i like it alot, but from what i have read, a updated version of android would make me like it alot more.

thanks for reading , mark

I was told categorically by LG UK that there will be NO updates for this phone.

Just found my way here through another post, might give rooting my son's LG a go. Can't lose anything as its on the window ledge gathering dust he hates it that much.

Upvote 0
I was told categorically by LG UK that there will be NO updates for this phone.

Just found my way here through another post, might give rooting my son's LG a go. Can't lose anything as its on the window ledge gathering dust he hates it that much.

Its not an official update, but the guys over at Openetna (openetna - Project Hosting on Google Code) have come out with a 2.1 release for this phone. and it works very well. Its still a work in progress and as a result there are a few bugs (my video camera doesn't work but the camera does for example), but all in all its much better than the 1.5 release that the phone comes with. Its very easy to install the update as well. Only thing is, if you don't have a Linux box you can't really backup your old 1.5 firmware (nandroid is not supported on windows). The update is good enough for me though, so I won't be going backwards

Upvote 0
Its not an official update, but the guys over at Openetna (openetna - Project Hosting on Google Code) have come out with a 2.1 release for this phone. and it works very well. Its still a work in progress and as a result there are a few bugs (my video camera doesn't work but the camera does for example), but all in all its much better than the 1.5 release that the phone comes with. Its very easy to install the update as well. Only thing is, if you don't have a Linux box you can't really backup your old 1.5 firmware (nandroid is not supported on windows). The update is good enough for me though, so I won't be going backwards

Quick question about backing up the old firmware. I don't have a Linux box, but I do have a Ubuntu Live CD. Do you figure that would be sufficient to back up my old firmware?

Upvote 0
Quick question about backing up the old firmware. I don't have a Linux box, but I do have a Ubuntu Live CD. Do you figure that would be sufficient to back up my old firmware?

Well i'm not the one to say yes or no to that question. I've heard that nandroid will work on windows through Cygwin, but I'm not savvy enough in Linux to get it working. I would guess if you can virtualize a stable linux environment in windows it should work.

Upvote 0
I too have used Openetna's 2.1 update for the Eve and I must say it is a TON better than 1.5! The phone has better battery life, slightly but better, and operates faster. I do not have the app to app delay I had with 1.5. The updating process is very simple, just follow the instructions on the site. All you need is fastboot.

The phone, now, is great...LG on the other hand :mad:

Upvote 0
where and how can I root my LG Eve to 1.6 or higher? Also, with a 2.1 o/s, would I be able to use flash?! I know openetna has made some intelligble progress, but I need step-by-step instructions. At this point, I don't even care to void the warranty, because I've used the device for LESS than a year!

I'm tired of LG and Rogers' BS about when they're going to release Android 1.6. Not to mention how dumbfounded the reps sound when you inquire about a release "umm...firmware...phone...I don't have any information on anything..." First springtime, now winter. This is super frustrating! ROGERS, LG, GET IT TOGETHER AND RELEASE SOME ANDROID UPDATES TO YOUR GW620R/EVE CUSTOMERS!

...@rogersmary, where you at?!

Upvote 0
where and how can I root my LG Eve to 1.6 or higher? Also, with a 2.1 o/s, would I be able to use flash?! I know openetna has made some intelligble progress, but I need step-by-step instructions. At this point, I don't even care to void the warranty, because I've used the device for LESS than a year!

I'm tired of LG and Rogers' BS about when they're going to release Android 1.6. Not to mention how dumbfounded the reps sound when you inquire about a release "umm...firmware...phone...I don't have any information on anything..." First springtime, now winter. This is super frustrating! ROGERS, LG, GET IT TOGETHER AND RELEASE SOME ANDROID UPDATES TO YOUR GW620R/EVE CUSTOMERS!

...@rogersmary, where you at?!

Its actually ridiculously easy to flash to 2.1, once you have the tools :p

So do you have Android SDK installed? you need the android_winusb driver as well as the android_usb driver. You need fastboot.exe and of course the img files from openetna.

Its all relatively easy to find (search google for it) and installing isn't much harder. once you have all that there are instructions on openetna on how to flash to 2.1. it takes about 5 mins :)

If you have any trouble finding any of the stuff or getting it to work let me know.

Reactions: pashcan
Upvote 0
i have nothing LOL. so all the help i can get (eg. links, etc) would be appreciated.
Gusse, YES I THINK if you flash your phone the warranty is void. You can use your device as it is to root it.

If you send in your phone r00ted or with a rom that wasn't originally installed then yes your warranty is void. but if you are able to reset your phone to factory you should be ok.

as for links you need to install android sdk which you can find here:

Android SDK | Android Developers

you're also going to need to install the Java development kit to run SDK

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
you can get fastboot here:
http://developer.htc.com/adp.html#s2

here's your android driver
Download android_winusb.inf for free on uploading.com

everything listed above (minus fastboot) will allow you to r00t your phone (theres a whole thread within this forum with step by step instructions on how to r00t.) if you want to flash your rom, you need these tools, fastboot and the android_usb.inf driver. It was a pain in the ass for me to find that driver and i couldn't find the link for it. I can tell you that i downloaded it from megauploads and it was listed as a samsung galaxy (or some other samsung) driver, but it works in XP & windows 7.

1 more thing, for the android_winusb.inf driver, you may have to "alter" the driver file. i believe I made a post in the r00t thread with instructions on how to do that as well.

Reactions: Andy@LGeve
Upvote 0
awesome, i'll look for the forum for the instructions and get started this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Damn you LG and Rogers for it having to come to this LOL.

but question first: is there a difference between FLASHING and ROOTING your device? i'm just looking to upgrade the firmware to android 2.1...

THANKS!

Upvote 0
well it's October and no official release of 1.6 like LG promised

is there a idiot's guide to updating Openetna image
I got as far as trying to fastboot the phone, and I guess my phone dosnt support it
and it said to go back to 10g or 10h depending on the speed of the phone,
how do i find that out, and I am running 10f and the lg tool says there no more updates

Upvote 0
[SpL3rG3] So I worked on prepping my computer for the big root this weekend, everything looks like a go EXCEPT for the fact that I can't find the "android_winusb.inf" file. It came with the SDK package as a text file but the LG GW620 isn't even listed. I right-clicked 'Install' and nothing happens. I tried the megauploads site and got the same text file. Here it is:

;
; Android WinUsb driver installation.
;
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class = AndroidUsbDeviceClass
ClassGuid = {3F966BD9-FA04-4ec5-991C-D326973B5128}
Provider = %ProviderName%
DriverVer = 08/11/2009,2.0.0010.00002
CatalogFile.NTx86 = androidwinusb86.cat
CatalogFile.NTamd64 = androidwinusba64.cat
;
; This section seems to be required for WinUsb driver installation.
; If this section is removed the installer will report an error
; "Required section not found in INF file".
;
[ClassInstall32]
Addreg = AndroidWinUsbClassReg
[AndroidWinUsbClassReg]
HKR,,,0,%ClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,-1
[Manufacturer]
%ProviderName% = Google, NTx86, NTamd64
[Google.NTx86]
; HTC Dream
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF
; HTC Magic
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C03&MI_01
;
;Moto Sholes
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB&MI_01
;
;Google NexusOne
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E11
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E12&MI_01
[Google.NTamd64]
; HTC Dream
; HTC Magic
;
;Moto Sholes
;
;Google NexusOne
;
[USB_Install]
Include = winusb.inf
Needs = WINUSB.NT
[USB_Install.Services]
Include = winusb.inf
AddService = WinUSB,0x00000002,WinUSB_ServiceInstall
[WinUSB_ServiceInstall]
DisplayName = %WinUSB_SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\WinUSB.sys
[USB_Install.Wdf]
KmdfService = WINUSB, WinUSB_Install
[WinUSB_Install]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.7
[USB_Install.HW]
AddReg = Dev_AddReg
[Dev_AddReg]
HKR,,DeviceInterfaceGUIDs,0x10000,"{F72FE0D4-CBCB-407d-8814-9ED673D0DD6B}"
[USB_Install.CoInstallers]
AddReg = CoInstallers_AddReg
CopyFiles = CoInstallers_CopyFiles
[CoInstallers_AddReg]
HKR,,CoInstallers32,0x00010000,"WdfCoInstaller01007.dll,WdfCoInstaller","WinUSBCoInstaller.dll"
[CoInstallers_CopyFiles]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll
[DestinationDirs]
CoInstallers_CopyFiles=11
[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\i386
2 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\amd64
[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 1
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 1
[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 2
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 2
[Strings]
ProviderName = "Google, Inc."
SingleAdbInterface = "Android ADB Interface"
CompositeAdbInterface = "Android Composite ADB Interface"
SingleBootLoaderInterface = "Android Bootloader Interface"
WinUSB_SvcDesc = "Android USB Driver"
DISK_NAME = "Android WinUsb installation disk"
ClassName = "Android Phone"

Basically I tried to include the same format from my drivers for the LG Eve:

;LG Eve
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_6171&MI_01

...but that didn't work either. I'm thinking there must be an actual driver to install, like an .exe or something, but I can't find it. HELP!

OH! I was researching too: Even if I root my Eve to, say, Froyo 2.2, will it have flash support in the browser? Like, Adobe Flsh 10.1 or some flash app that could be downloaded? The pages I found said no, because the Eve, even rooted to a new O/S, still doesn't have the "horsepower" to run flash in its browser. Lemme know :)

PS. Rogers is offering me the Nokia C3 or Samsung Forever FREE (for all the trouble I've been having with the Eve the last couple of months)! Neither of them compare to the Eve's potential, and I would hate to look into a Blackberry for convenience. Le sigh.

Upvote 0
[SpL3rG3] So I worked on prepping my computer for the big root this weekend, everything looks like a go EXCEPT for the fact that I can't find the "android_winusb.inf" file. It came with the SDK package as a text file but the LG GW620 isn't even listed. I right-clicked 'Install' and nothing happens. I tried the megauploads site and got the same text file. Here it is:

;
; Android WinUsb driver installation.
;
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class = AndroidUsbDeviceClass
ClassGuid = {3F966BD9-FA04-4ec5-991C-D326973B5128}
Provider = %ProviderName%
DriverVer = 08/11/2009,2.0.0010.00002
CatalogFile.NTx86 = androidwinusb86.cat
CatalogFile.NTamd64 = androidwinusba64.cat
;
; This section seems to be required for WinUsb driver installation.
; If this section is removed the installer will report an error
; "Required section not found in INF file".
;
[ClassInstall32]
Addreg = AndroidWinUsbClassReg
[AndroidWinUsbClassReg]
HKR,,,0,%ClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,-1
[Manufacturer]
%ProviderName% = Google, NTx86, NTamd64
[Google.NTx86]
; HTC Dream
; HTC Magic
;
;Moto Sholes
;
;Google NexusOne
[Google.NTamd64]
; HTC Dream
; HTC Magic
;
;Moto Sholes
;
;Google NexusOne
;
[USB_Install]
Include = winusb.inf
Needs = WINUSB.NT
[USB_Install.Services]
Include = winusb.inf
AddService = WinUSB,0x00000002,WinUSB_ServiceInstall
[WinUSB_ServiceInstall]
DisplayName = %WinUSB_SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\WinUSB.sys
[USB_Install.Wdf]
KmdfService = WINUSB, WinUSB_Install
[WinUSB_Install]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.7
[USB_Install.HW]
AddReg = Dev_AddReg
[Dev_AddReg]
HKR,,DeviceInterfaceGUIDs,0x10000,"{F72FE0D4-CBCB-407d-8814-9ED673D0DD6B}"
[USB_Install.CoInstallers]
AddReg = CoInstallers_AddReg
CopyFiles = CoInstallers_CopyFiles
[CoInstallers_AddReg]
HKR,,CoInstallers32,0x00010000,"WdfCoInstaller01007.dll,WdfCoInstaller","WinUSBCoInstaller.dll"
[CoInstallers_CopyFiles]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll
[DestinationDirs]
CoInstallers_CopyFiles=11
[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\i386
2 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\amd64
[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 1
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 1
[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 2
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 2
[Strings]
ProviderName = "Google, Inc."
SingleAdbInterface = "Android ADB Interface"
CompositeAdbInterface = "Android Composite ADB Interface"
SingleBootLoaderInterface = "Android Bootloader Interface"
WinUSB_SvcDesc = "Android USB Driver"
DISK_NAME = "Android WinUsb installation disk"
ClassName = "Android Phone"

Basically I tried to include the same format from my drivers for the LG Eve:

;LG Eve
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_6171&MI_01

...but that didn't work either. I'm thinking there must be an actual driver to install, like an .exe or something, but I can't find it. HELP!

OH! I was researching too: Even if I root my Eve to, say, Froyo 2.2, will it have flash support in the browser? Like, Adobe Flsh 10.1 or some flash app that could be downloaded? The pages I found said no, because the Eve, even rooted to a new O/S, still doesn't have the "horsepower" to run flash in its browser. Lemme know :)

PS. Rogers is offering me the Nokia C3 or Samsung Forever FREE (for all the trouble I've been having with the Eve the last couple of months)! Neither of them compare to the Eve's potential, and I would hate to look into a Blackberry for convenience. Le sigh.

Well i installed flash on mine using 2.1 and its worked for most sites. I've already updated to the 2.2 but I haven't had a chance to check out the flash options.

for the driver, try this link;

Download android_winusb.inf for free on uploading.com

If that doesn't work you can PM me your email and I should be able to send it to you. One thing to note though, caller ID for the phone hasn't been working very well in the last couple updates. If you've been following the Openetna page you can see its a work in progress and there's quite a few people working on it, but I thought I would let you know anyway. If you don't want to jump to the 2.2 right away I still have a 2.1 version that works quite well I can send you.

Upvote 0
ARGHH, ive been trying to flash the device several times now with the system and boot images. i always come across a 'FAILED <remote: flash write failure>' when writing either images. then i'll unplug the phone, re-enter into fastboot and try and flash again. IF it does work, i'll unplug the usb, put in the battery and start up the phone. after the openetna logo appears, i get a '[Blue Error Handler]' Arm11 is Crashed!! ...' message. I've gotten to the stage several times after flashing, I'm confused as to what's going on. All the images are from the openetna site...i'm trying for eclair 2.1. HELP!

Update: Haah, nevermind, I'm rooted. Feels good to have lots of different options! :)

Upvote 0
Hi Andy,

I am in the exact situation you mention. Were you able to fix this problem? What do you do next?

I am sitting with a 'bricked' Eclair and any help is appreciated...

Regards,
sayeed

ARGHH, ive been trying to flash the device several times now with the system and boot images. i always come across a 'FAILED <remote: flash write failure>' when writing either images. then i'll unplug the phone, re-enter into fastboot and try and flash again. IF it does work, i'll unplug the usb, put in the battery and start up the phone. after the openetna logo appears, i get a '[Blue Error Handler]' Arm11 is Crashed!! ...' message. I've gotten to the stage several times after flashing, I'm confused as to what's going on. All the images are from the openetna site...i'm trying for eclair 2.1. HELP!

Update: Haah, nevermind, I'm rooted. Feels good to have lots of different options! :)

Upvote 0
hey sayeed: this is exactly what I did to flash 2.1 (after several tries!)

1) put device into fastboot mode
2) fastboot flash system systemV6.0-rc.5.img
3) fastboot -w
4) fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
5) fastboot flash boot bootV2.1.1.img
6) put battery in, plug USB cable immediately

If alls well, you should see these screens in order: LG Mobile > Openetna > Cyanogenmod *Android on a skateboard with lightning revolving him* > screen

NOTE: I used Windows CMD prompt (not sure if this makes a difference). The original boot takes a couple mins. I used Openetna's images and they have a useful installation guide too.

Hope it works and good luck!

Does anyone know whether the following problems are fixed/enhanced in Openetna's 2.2 system?

-camera quality (currently at 3.0MP)
-video capture/recording (currently not working)
-call volume (currently low)
-Youtube (currently glitchy)
-external music key (currently not working)
-Bluetooth 2.0 (currently not working)
-battery life (currently drains at fast rate)
-SD scrolling of pictures (currently slow)
-caller display (sometimes displays 'Payphone')

Thanks for your help! 2.1 is great with lots of features, but some of the basic stuff that's not working is making me reconsider stock :S

Reactions: sayeed
Upvote 0
I shouldn't have to crack my own phone to get an update. What ever happened to standing by your product. The cell phone industry is out of control due to the high turn over of phones. It's not like the technology is really moving THAT fast.
The Blackberry Bold is a perfect example of a phone that has staying power. The iPhone likely as well. When will they put out a Droid phone that will actually be current by the time the contract ends? HTC is my next attempt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones