• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1A wall charger OK to use?

My HTC charger died and I received a replacement from ATT. Not the same but a generic 5V-0.5A wall charger with a hard-wired USB cable.

However, the charging time is VERY slow.

My 2 questions.....

1. Is it safe to use a generic 2.1A wall charger (w/USB slots) that offers 4x the 0.5A of the HTC charger?

2. Will it provide a significant faster recharging time?

My understanding is the device will only "accept" what is safe and reject the excess.

PS: I've also discovered my battery drain is faster and only lasts ~ 12 hours - a significant reduction from my previous 18-20 hours - as per my "battery app".

Thanks in advance!

The phone limits the amount of amperage needed.
So the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's needing, but should not less.
So this 2.1A charger won't cause any harm.

HTC modifies their charger's USB output for rapid charging with amperage up to 1A (jumpered data pins).
Most generic chargers lack that modification, so your phone would need double time for a full charge.

But this new charger you've got has not enought output amperage, that's the reason for slow charging ... my charger for my HTC One X had 1A.

thanks for your comments

My battery discharge rate is twice as fast as before - approximately 3 minutes for each one percent change

It appears to be a battery problem - correct?

thanks for your comments

My battery discharge rate is twice as fast as before - approximately 3 minutes for each one percent change

It appears to be a battery problem - correct?
Yep ... if you haven't had an Android update recently.
When I had the update to 4.2.2 my One X acted in a similar way for two days.

Back
Top Bottom