• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few questions from a lay Android user

heebs79

Jun 21, 2011
Hi, I am considering getting the CPO Spectrum and just had a few questions about rooting and flashing a custom ROM. I have never rooted my current phone. I was not going to get the Spectrum when I heard about the charging issue but if I can fix that by rooting and using a custom ROM then that would be awesome.

My questions: I have looked over the process of rooting and it seems fairly simple. Will a non-tech guy like me be able to figure it out? I'm good at following directions but don't have any programming experience.

Which rooting process should I follow? I see a "One Click Updated" and the other one with a ton of posts in the thread, maybe they are the same?

Lastly, I will need that ROM where the charging input limitation can be changed. Where can I find that ROM?

Thanks a million guys!

Welcome! You should get the spectrum because for the price you can't beat it! Don't believe the bad reviews this phone rocks! And I don't work for LG or Verizon :p

Rooting the spectrum is super easy..you could do it no problem, and you don't need to be a programmer to root any phone. It's just a matter of following directions. If you are unsure about something then just post your questions here and someone will help you! Just follow the directions exactly and don't use rom manager! (people who brick their phones have used rom manager even though they were not told to)

Go here and use this method to root and install CWM http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...l-one-pkg-root-cwm-touch-recovery-unroot.html It's a very solid method and I have personally used it 4 times on 2 different phones with no issues.

If you use broken out rom you will get a faster charge. 1.3 will give you the fastest charging. 2.0 has an issue with bluetooth but runs the best. i personally do not know how to change charge settings manually becausei t's not something I have researched. But get broken out and you will not need to.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I appreciate the response! So, after I root where do I go to install the "broken out" ROM? Thanks again!

No you will not receive updates. You will have to return to stock, but thats not a problem at all thanks to mr. neph81 who has created a very handy and simple process for us to return to stock. You can find the guides here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones