• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few questions

candroid11

Sep 21, 2011
I'm interested in ordering this because the price is great and I would like something primarily for reading (mainly pdf files, but also books and maybe some magazines). First, I want to know about whether Google is trying to fully control the revenue stream. If I wanted to buy books or something from Kindle etc. would I be able to? I anticipate the answer is yes, but I want to make sure of this. This ability for the consumer to choose is very important. Second, should I be concerned about the lack of flash support? It seems like iPad users are doing fine without it so I dont know if this is really an issue. And for storage, is there a removable sd card slot? And more generally, how do the technical specs compare to other tablets at a similar price point?

Another question worth asking is how many ebook files or pdf files could typically fit on to 8gbs? I doubt I would need more storage than that because I'm only going to be using this for light use and not for downloading entire movies etc. Just some files for school, some books, some of my favourite music.

Upvote 0
Another question worth asking is how many ebook files or pdf files could typically fit on to 8gbs? I doubt I would need more storage than that because I'm only going to be using this for light use and not for downloading entire movies etc. Just some files for school, some books, some of my favourite music.

I wouldn't worry about ebooks. Even the entire lord of the rings trilogy, at 1209 pages, only comes in at 4.5MB on the amazon store. I had a look at the books on my own kindle and even fairly long novels are coming in at about 1MB in size.

It's worth pointing out that the reported free space on a 8GB n7 is only ~6GB. That's when you take into account the OS, apps and pre-loaded content that comes on the device, all of which take up space too. You'll be installing more apps too, which will cut into that space. However, I think it's fair to say filling up your device with ebooks is next to impossible.

As for pdfs, that's really hard to say. They have the potential to take up a lot more space. It really depends on your usage - are you going to take a few small files when and as you need them, or if you're planning on loading up whole pdf textbooks and so on?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I think the 8GB would be just fine for my needs. As a reference, my 16GB Nexus S has about 11GB of free space right now. I don't keep very much loaded on it. And if I ran out of space on the N7 I could just delete it and it would still be in my dropbox/drive. If anyone could answer my other questions, that would be great.

Upvote 0
Second, should I be concerned about the lack of flash support? It seems like iPad users are doing fine without it so I dont know if this is really an issue. And for storage, is there a removable sd card slot? And more generally, how do the technical specs compare to other tablets at a similar price point?

No flash support is a bit iffy, but MOST webpages etc will be okay.

As for specs, nothing better. Unless you want to bump up your spending by another

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones