• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Activating driving mode

When I try to activate driving mode in the pull down menu the icon goes from grey to dark blue so I guess it's on. I then I put the phone in standby and expect any texts I get to be announced and read out. They don't, the text arrives and the usual sound, nothing announced or read out. What am I doing wrong?

You have to activate the various bits in settings, language and input, text to speech output, then long press on the driving mode to bring up the options :)

Done all that still no change when texts come in. Is there a video showing how to set up and what it's supposed to do when working?

I think I have done everything I need to do:

1) Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Driving mode -> slide to on -> check all 7 items (including "Message Read out senders' information when new messages arrive").

2) Select S Voice -> Settings -> Message check "Show body of message".

Once I have done the above, I select "Diving mode" on from icon at the top of the pull down menu from the home screen (it goes green from grey/blue).

Lock the phone. If I then unlock, it reads out the time, missed message etc. Then I get someone to send me a text - doesn;t read out sender or body of text grrrrrgrgrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Any pointers? Anyone got this working or is it marketing BS?

I think there's a bug in the software. I click on Driving Mode and it works. If I click Driving Mode off, then back on again, it stops working. I can't get it working again until I reboot my phone.

Try rebooting your phone and see if that helps. Of course that's not a fix.

Is there a way to contact Samsung to complain about this?

I contacted Samsung support via chat, I think I knew more than the person trying to help me.

Anyway, after all was said and done, I decided to do a Factory Reset. Now driving mode does not work at all.

I'm starting to wonder if Driving Mode actually uses downloaded SMS readers to function. I say this because I remember when I was playing around with it (before Factory Reset) it would grab one of the downloaded SMS readers I had on the phone and use that instead of the built-in reader (if there is one). But now even with some downloaded SMS readers it's not working.

Samsung doesn't seem to know their own product, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Driving mode -> slide to on and uncheck the very last one "Unlock screen" as this will read out everything to you when you unlock your screen.

Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Driving mode -> slide to on and uncheck the very last one "Unlock screen" as this will read out everything to you when you unlock your screen.

I never had that checked. But I went ahead and checked it, then went through the unlock process. It did read everything out to me when I unlocked the phone, but would not read the incoming message or the sender information. So I unchecked it and I was back to where I started, nothing is read out.

Got it figured out. You have to go into S-voice, then Settings, then click on "Show body of message". This was pointed out in a previous message above, but I missed it.

Now it works! We'll see if it stays on consistency.

Got it figured out. You have to go into S-voice, then Settings, then click on "Show body of message". This was pointed out in a previous message above, but I missed it.

Now it works! We'll see if it stays on consistency.

is it supposed to read out the text message aswell as the sender info?, ive just tried this but it only reads out the sender info? Ive only got messages and calls ticked on the text to speach settings page, and ive done the show body of text aswell
???

hmm oddly just tried it again and that worked, but with a female voice not a mans voice - i havnt changed anything at all even sent the same text to myself..

i can't get my driving mode to stay enabled. no reboot required. it just seems to shut itself off. anyone else see this?

i can't get my driving mode to stay enabled. no reboot required. it just seems to shut itself off. anyone else see this?

My driving mode seems to turn off when I unplug the headphone jack (AUX cable in the car, or headphones).

I want it to stay on, anyone know how to force it to stay on?

My driving mode only reads out the text when the screen is ON. The screen is turned off, and I get a text. The screen is still dark, as is normal. When I turn on the screen, I can see the message from the text and THEN the driving mode reads the message. As long as the screen remains off, it won't read it.

Weird.

Back
Top Bottom