• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any option other than root?

Okay, looks like it can be done, what's the easiest and safest way to do it?

ps. Thanks for your help.

- Download ODIN.
- Download the ODIN firmware from sammobile.com unzip it to get a *.tar file.
- Download and install drivers for S3. If you have KIES that is all you need.
- Put the phone into download mode by shutting it down and pressing Vol down+Home+power at the same time.
- Open ODIN and make sure Reprartition is NOT checked.
- Connect phone to the PC and make sure ODIN shows a com port in yellow/ blue indicating that the phone is connected.
- In ODIN hit PDA and and point it to the firmware .tar file. Hit start.

Phone will stay in download mode, then reboot and bring you to the startup screen where you can set it up.

P.S. You're welcome

Upvote 0
- Download ODIN.
- Download the ODIN firmware from sammobile.com unzip it to get a *.tar file.
- Download and install drivers for S3. If you have KIES that is all you need.
- Put the phone into download mode by shutting it down and pressing Vol down+Home+power at the same time.
- Open ODIN and make sure Reprartition is NOT checked.
- Connect phone to the PC and make sure ODIN shows a com port in yellow/ blue indicating that the phone is connected.
- In ODIN hit PDA and and point it to the firmware .tar file. Hit start.

Phone will stay in download mode, then reboot and bring you to the startup screen where you can set it up.

P.S. You're welcome

cheers fella...

Upvote 0
God I'm confused again, to put a stock rom on do I download the Latest OTA for the UK? My phone is on Three UK and Ideally I want to get a stock samsung rom on so it will update to Jellybean via Kies when the official comes out in a few days?

Does anybody have a link to the correct stock firmware?

Thanks

bbb

Upvote 0
This is a great guide on how to flash via ODIN:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969

To pick up the firmware go to here:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

This is the latest firmware for the UK

I9300XXBLG8 Download (Thanks To SamMobile!)
Base Firmware: I9300XXBLG8 (4.0.4)
Region Europe
Carrier: Unbranded
Build Date: 26 July 2012
Modem: XXLG8
CSC: OXABLG8
Change List: 928452

This shouldn't wipe but I could be wrong. You may also need to change your CSC but doing this WILL wipe your phone.

EDIT: I'm on Three myself and I flashed an unbranded version almost straight away. Easy enough to do :)

Reactions: badboybubby
Upvote 0

Region Europe

This shouldn't wipe but I could be wrong. You may also need to change your CSC but doing this WILL wipe your phone.

thanks...

Upvote 0
Will all existing data be lost in doing this? I'm not interested at the moment personally but it's something I'd like to know the answer to :)

If you flash via ODIN it will wipe all existing data. I do it quite often as Iam reooted and have everything backed up, meaning restorig it back to my setup takes 15 minutes.

Region Europe

EDIT: I'm on Three myself and I flashed an unbranded version almost straight away. Easy enough to do :)

The link given to firmware here is OLD. Gives BLH while we're on DLI

Use the leaks here instead:

[Leaked JB Firmware] I9300XXDLI5 (4.1.1) - ODIN Firmware - Best JB Leak! [09-09-12] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you flash via ODIN it will wipe all existing data. I do it quite often as Iam reooted and have everything backed up, meaning restorig it back to my setup takes 15 minutes.

The link given to firmware here is OLD. Gives BLH while we're on DLI

Use the leaks here instead:

[Leaked JB Firmware] I9300XXDLI5 (4.1.1) - ODIN Firmware - Best JB Leak! [09-09-12] - xda-developers

I only used that one as that's the upto date official UK firmware. That one you have is a leaked Jelly Bean one.

Upvote 0
Interesting.

Are you rooted?

If you upgraded without losing any data could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.

Not rooted bud.

Followed the first post here..... hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1835931 (not sure on the rules regarding links sorry, just replace the two x's at the beginning with t's)

I was prepared to lose some data at worst but it never came to that :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones