• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps which provide USA mobile number

HeyWire, is free and assigns you a US telephone number. It sends/receives texts using WiFi -- is that what you are asking for? I have used it to send and receive texts to/from smart phones with my Android tablet and it works well.

I think you will have to sign up for US carrier to get a US number AND receive only texts. TMobile has good text only plans and so has Verizon. Other wise if you need US number for VOIP then there are plenty to choose from - i guess you are not interested in that.

I think you will have to sign up for US carrier to get a US number AND receive only texts. TMobile has good text only plans and so has Verizon. Other wise if you need US number for VOIP then there are plenty to choose from - i guess you are not interested in that.

I don't think the OP is in the US, believe he's in Asia. Signing up with a US carrier isn't an option here. So it'll have to be a VOIP service that can do SMS to a US number. I know both Skype and Vonage can do that. In fact knew a couple of expats who were using the US Vonage service here in China.

Think the only truly free way of getting a US phone number is Google Voice. But you have to have an existing US phone number to get that. Unless anyone knows otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom