• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Attempting to clear cache?

DroidAbuser

Feb 15, 2012
Attempting to clear cache in recovery mode due to sluggish performance, (hold down both volume up and down and press power) but when I attempt to go into recovery to clear cache the little android comes up with a red triangle over him (with an exclamation point)?

Usually it boots you into the menu to allow you to clear cache but not working? I also tried on my wifes razr maxx and same thing happens so not just mine...any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks.....

This one will really test ya. For a while now my volume down button hasn't worked. In order to lower volume I have to press volume up-when the slider appears I need to swipe it to the left to lower volume. Soooo, in trying to clear cache according to instructions I can't use the volume down button to get down to 'recover'. Is there another way to do it?- or- do I have to use one of the "clear cache" apps? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. My Razr Maxx is definitely slooooowing doooown.

Upvote 0
The cache clearing apps aren't doing the same thing that all of the button pushing does. There's an area of the OS that uses a "scratch pad area" and the button pushing cleans out the cruft accumulated in that space. If you understand the fine points of OS', you'll get this, if not, just accept it that a cache clearing app won't do this job. Which isn't to say using Master Clean, etc. is a waste of time. Use them! But remaking the swap partition is something altogether different.

BTW, understand that following this "magic spell" and getting it wrong can lead to resetting to the factory state (bye-bye apps, bye-bye data, bye-bye everything). Be very, very sure of what you're doing - this is not a place for mistakes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones