• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avant software updates

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would be a lot of help... The first download I did was corrupt so I had to do it twice with each one taking over an hour. It's a little annoying
Fyi my experience:
ONLY able to update thru Odin.
TWRP fails, not finding md5 in process.
KIES Downloaded, then failed, saying update not for this device...Even though it initially offered it. Before latest update KIES used to offer to download to computer and update later.
Now it forces redownload on subsequent retries...no way to point software to downloaded file.

I had already enabled band 12 manually...I wonder what other benefits this update provided, LOL

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mine says something along the lines of invalid imei number
I'm on T-Mobile with this handset...ported over from Metro(did not unlock, just over-installed tmb stock)...on paygo plan(no data, although T-Mobile apps work over data).
I'd try switching your apn to t mobile's...it can't hurt...it's my default even if on metro, etc.

I believe I enabled before switching from Metro, but not totally sure.
Good luck partner.

EDIT NEVER MIND RE T-MOBILE, BRAIN FART.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
POSSIBLE ISSUE WITH LATEST UPDATE...WIFI, after coming out of power saving mode:
Whether in settings or notify bar, while WiFi not greyed out, it didn't switch to ON, ditto other related WiFi modules/settings..

1. Went back in & out of UPSM, still not resolved.
2. Enabled Smart Network Switch...NOW WiFi worked (& SNS could be turned back off w/o issue).

Upvote 0
It's supposed to work like that, but I couldn't receive the update through Kies no matter what I did (unroot, hide custom status). The only thing that worked for me was using Odin, which didn't wipe data or anything.
Glad I'm not the only one. It's infuriating that it downloads package but won't store it...I didn't bother sloughing thru temp folders...
I had thought either Knox was acting up (metro model, overflashing with tmb stock trips Knox) or download was corrupt, but wasn't about to redownload over a glacial public hotspot.
And I sweated bullets that Odin would update rather than just delete and replace., given the smaller package size...

Reactions: redsfan27
Upvote 0
I just got the update this morning but didn't download it yet until checking here . I am still ANK3 getting ready to root with Odin today . T-Mobile support page lists improvements as Band 12 and VoLTE911 calling here
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11068

My question is should I root and then just enable Band 12 manually or root and then try the update through Odin? Can someone explain how to do the update with Odin ? Would I download the update through kies and then install with Odin or am I misunderstanding something ? It says the update is to baseband AOD7 so I would hate to update and not be able to root when I can just enable it manually . Also, any way to stop the update notification or will they stop automatically once rooted . I won't be installing any Custom Roms just yet but I'm looking forward to it . Thanks

Upvote 0
Okay great, thanks! My only concern was that the rooting method said it only works on baseband version ANK3 and if I update it is going to change to AOD7 . So the new version shouldn't stop me from using the root process through Odin ? Just trying to be absolutely sure.
I started a new thread with this question because I wasn't sure if anyone saw my post. It can be deleted by the mods if necessary. Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Hey folks,
from my past experience, most device forums have a few different threads as stickies. Usu these are ROMs, radios, and kernels.

Our ROM situation is looking better every day, but we still don't have a custom kernel.

So, that leaves us with radio...

This AOD7 update leaves us with a better modem/baseband/radio than we had. No need to manually activate band 12, then pray it's optimized for the algorithms band 12 uses.
OK, so, for future use, can the baseband be pulled, then made into a flashable zip?

Upvote 0
Hey folks,
from my past experience, most device forums have a few different threads as stickies. Usu these are ROMs, radios, and kernels.

Our ROM situation is looking better every day, but we still don't have a custom kernel.

So, that leaves us with radio...

This AOD7 update leaves us with a better modem/baseband/radio than we had. No need to manually activate band 12, then pray it's optimized for the algorithms band 12 uses.
OK, so, for future use, can the baseband be pulled, then made into a flashable zip?
Yeah I'm pretty sure it'll work, I did the same with the radio for the galaxy light and it worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones