• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Android QWERTY Bar phone?

janpetras

May 24, 2011
~/jan/
Hei, I'm looking for the best phone that is available now or coming soon which is a bar style phone with a physical QWERTY. Not slide-out type, but the Blackberry style type.

I really text a lot, with one hand, and I really like (and miss) my Blackberry, however I enjoy Android and would like to stick with Android. I understand that the OS is designed for a touchscreen so I don't mind if the phone has a touchscreen too, but I really need a physical bar style QWERTY.

So which one would that be? The best one. Price doesn't matter. Also, GSM not CDMA.

It seems that only the cheaper lower quality Android phones have the sliding keyboards, which is too bad. I guess most Android manufacturers are following Apple's design for their premier phones. I have an LG Shine Plus which has a nicely designed sliding keyboard and metal back cover. It looks shiny and upscale. Unfortunately, it is still a 2.1 phone, with no updates and in the process of being discontinued. I have looked at some of the newer available sliding phones and they have that plasticky toy look to them.

Upvote 0
It seems that only the cheaper lower quality Android phones have the sliding keyboards, which is too bad. I guess most Android manufacturers are following Apple's design for their premier phones. I have an LG Shine Plus which has a nicely designed sliding keyboard and metal back cover. It looks shiny and upscale. Unfortunately, it is still a 2.1 phone, with no updates and in the process of being discontinued. I have looked at some of the newer available sliding phones and they have that plasticky toy look to them.

The OP isn't even talking about sliders, but rather phones that are like the droid pro. And I have a high end slider. The keyboard may not be the best, but it's still there and it doesn't feel cheap either and has nice metal accents.

And to answer the OP... I'm not sure there are even high end qwerty candy bar androids, although I found one that is ok... Samsung Galaxy M Pro B7800. It has a 1ghz cpu, 5mp rear camera, vga front camera, etc. I'm not sure how the build quality is, but it doesn't have that bad of specs, granted it's not going to blow any dual core devices out of the water and also it's a gsm phone.

Reactions: danaj
Upvote 0
The OP isn't even talking about sliders, but rather phones that are like the droid pro. And I have a high end slider. The keyboard may not be the best, but it's still there and it doesn't feel cheap either and has nice metal accents.

And to answer the OP... I'm not sure there are even high end qwerty candy bar androids, although I found one that is ok... Samsung Galaxy M Pro B7800. It has a 1ghz cpu, 5mp rear camera, vga front camera, etc. I'm not sure how the build quality is, but it doesn't have that bad of specs, granted it's not going to blow any dual core devices out of the water and also it's a gsm phone.
I was just about to rant about my high end slider too, but I see you beat me to it! thanks.
Op, can you list the ones you already know about? I was only aware of the Droid pro.

Upvote 0
Well I pretty much know about a bunch of them including the Droid Pro but I'm not really sure which one is a wiser choice or... I just wanted to hear some general impressions from you guys.
It seems to me that Motorola has a higher number of these. The HTC ChaCha is just weird and a no-no.

Upvote 0
Motorola Pro Plus is a real killer. Had it for about 6 months. 1ghz and perfect for business usage. Someone stole it today :( and I really miss it. Got ChaCha now running a custom ROM caller SuperOSR..the stock ROM in ChaCha big down in battery life..hardly 10 hours.

As of now, Its Motorola which leads the race in bar qwerty droids. Fire and Optimus aren't as powerful in processing like Moto Pro+ and Droid Pro.

Upvote 0
Hei, I'm looking for the best phone that is available now or coming soon which is a bar style phone with a physical QWERTY. Not slide-out type, but the Blackberry style type.

I really text a lot, with one hand, and I really like (and miss) my Blackberry, however I enjoy Android and would like to stick with Android. I understand that the OS is designed for a touchscreen so I don't mind if the phone has a touchscreen too, but I really need a physical bar style QWERTY.

So which one would that be? The best one. Price doesn't matter. Also, GSM not CDMA.

Not to halt your quest for such a keyboard, but may I suggest you try an android (touch screen) that has Swype installed? Some androids come with this pre-installed, otherwise you can download it. Basically it's the on screen keyboard that let's you 'swype' from letter to letter with your thumb & it predicts words as you do so. You can configure it to your style, but straight away this is very quick due to the fact you're zig-zagging with your thumb & words are being filled for you. Probably as quick if not slighty quicker than BB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones