• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth to IR

Megaxyu

Hi,

I am new to the Android, and the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed before, search did not seem to turn anything up.

I would be interested in a device to convert Bluetooth signal to IR/RF in order to control AV equipment and maybe Lights and thermostats, is there such a device on the market for Android?

Hi,

I am new to the Android, and the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed before, search did not seem to turn anything up.

I would be interested in a device to convert Bluetooth signal to IR/RF in order to control AV equipment and maybe Lights and thermostats, is there such a device on the market for Android?

Unfortunately, there is no IR radio on Android phones. I was also interested in having my phone be my universal remote. There are ways to do it over wifi if your equipment supports it. In my house, my Fios DVR does support it, so I can use my phone as a remote for just the DVR box. Some TVs support this as well. As for speakers, receivers, and other boxes around the home entertainment system, I don't think it's possible with IR. We're talking about very specific frequencies of electromagnetic waves.

wouldn't it be great though if we can toss all our remotes and just use our phones? :) If IR support were to become available for any smartphone in the future, I would bet it comes to Android first.

Unfortunately, there is no IR radio on Android phones.
That's why the OP was asking about the possibility of BT->IR solutions.

I know there are network devices that are equipped with IR transmitters for this purpose but the ones I've run across seem to be quite pricey (several hundred). I suspect they're for those that hire system integrators and use systems like Crestron's.

Back
Top Bottom