• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BSOD on PC after downloading firmware update (4.0) to Galaxy S2X

Samapico

Lurker
Aug 14, 2012
This is weird... I have a Samsung Galaxy SII X with Android 2.3.5. I wanted to update it to 4.0. I got Kies and it asked me to download the update, which I did.

The update was downloaded on my computer, then transferred to my phone. Pretty much as soon as the transfer to the phone completed, my COMPUTER crashed with a blue screen of death. My Android phone is now displaying some stuff, and I'm not sure if it's still installing the update correctly, or if it's stuck.

On the phone, I can see something like this on a black background:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T9890
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

<Android logo>

Downloading...
Do not turn off target!!

Does this screen mean it is installing correctly and I just need to wait? Is it stuck there? Why did the PC crash??? No Google searches have given me anything about the PC giving a BSOD related to an Android update.

It's been like this for a couple minutes now and nothing's moving...

Edit: Here's the info about the BSOD, as viewed with BlueScreenView:
http://i.imgur.com/AV70G.png
It basically shows that the driver caused the crash... either I'm completely screwed, OR the driver just crashed when the device went into this boot-screen mode thing.

Edit2: After an hour or so, I decided to shut down the phone, and thankfully it could still boot fine. Gonna retry to update the OS.

Edit3: Nevermind, it was a fluke... Finally was able to install it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones