• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying my mopho(ton) and how I beat sprint 3x

joephoton

Photon Rox

I dropped my LG Rumor one too many times and so I had to get a new phone immediately. But my upgrade was 47 days away. I called Sprint but they said they couldn't do anything about it.

Well, I went into BB and was gonna get an HTC Evo something (since I had had an HTC EVO 3G long time ago), but a sales guy mentioned the Photon. I was hesitant to change, but then we looked online and compared the Photon with a couple HTC phones. I said Okay, I'll take the Photon.

Then the guy was gonna ring me up, but when i told him my upgrade was 47 days away, he said the same thing as Sprint.

So I called Sprint again (I've learned in my 20 years as their customer that if you don't get what you want from them, just keep calling back until you do.)

So some guy named Ramon said no problem, we'll just charge you 45$ to buy out your contract and you can upgrade by 10am tomorrow. So that evening I researched the Photon online and read all these gory stories about SOD and random reboots and dropped calls--that I was about scared to buy a Photon. Anyway, because it had the following key features, I decided to get one anyway, knowing that I could return it:

• better battery life
  • better speaker quality and louder speaker (true for both regular and speaker phone
  • much easier to read the screen in sunlight (so I've heard)
  • international sim card readiness
  • gets more consistent 4G connections where other phones don't

I wondered about the 45$ charge that Ramon had mentioned, but that ain't anywhere on my account, so I think he did it for free. +1

Then before I bought the Photon, I called Sprint to get the New Phone Activation Fee waived. "I haven't paid an activation fee for twenty years with Sprint and i don't intend to start today." Yeah, two drones said i had to, plus their supervisor. Who hung up on me when I asked to speak to his supervisor. So I called back, pushed another number to get some other department, got an account manager immediately, told him the last super had hung up on me. Explained what I wanted. He said no prob. He would do it immediately after my phone was activated. I said, uh.... So instead of doing that, he gave me a 42$ instant credit. +2

So anyway, the third way I "beat" Sprint was by downloading the PdaNet app and using my 4G reception (which i am fortunate my whole city and whole house is blanketed in) to hook up my laptop to the internet. +3

So far Ive gotten Dolphin HD app, which is okay. I don't know whether I want to shake my phone that much to activate the voice command, but the swipe control with Dolphin is cool.

Now I just gotta crawl toward figuring out what root does and how to install CM 7.2 and make this puppy fly. But I'll probably wait the 14 days before I root the phone, as I heard that that voids the warranty. And get some tips on extending battery life.

So I hope the sleep of death/random reboot stuff really is a non-issue anymore.

Welcome to Android Forums. I see you have found your way about the forums... cool! I hope you enjoy your new phone and can use these forums to help you over the rough spots.. if they exist. Have fun and thanks for joining the community.

Back