• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can anyone walk me through deodexing an app?

scoson

I'm trying to get MagicSmokeWallpapers that I had copied out of my old Optimus V to work on the Event. Yes, I know that there's one in the Play store but I'd like the satisfaction of learning a little and doing this myself the hard way.

Edit: After searching half the day I found a really slick deodexing app with a nice gui called Universal Deodexer V4. I had the original nandroid of my Optimus V still (lost the V in the snow) and already had it decompressed with a utility called unyaffs so I had the whole framework as well as the MagicSmokeWallpapers apk and odex. After deodexing it I put it in system/app, (I edited out another step I did with terminal emulator that turns out wasn't necessary anyway). End result was it's installed and shows up in Live Wallpaper but crashes immediately, so I've tried as much as I can figure out, unless someone comes along with a bright idea I give up lol..

You're on the right track with the OV files, but you need to use an ODEX stock rom instead. Odex has twice the files the Deodex does. Deodex allows for a lot more customization. Try any Odex stock rom by JMZ for the OV or for the HTC One V. The HTC One V(4.0 ICS) stock-rooted has both Magic Smoke & Music Visual wallpaper.apks. I have the stock Odex rom for the One V. I can post a link as soon as I get those files loaded. I will let you know.

CHecked with my dev friends at XDA Developers who do great things for my One V. My Dev, Curtis1973 says the stock HTC.apks probably won't work for the Event because they are signed.apks and are HTC specific. The Ov Odex apks are Froyo and may not work either. I believe they will have to be from an Odex ICS ROM, and not manufacturer specific. Good luck.

Thanks for both the replys but I put this to rest a while ago. I found some pretty cool vis to satisfy me anyway, Bezier, Mystify, Quads, and my favorite, Stonerview. I sometimes watch these when I'm listening to tunes :D.

Back
Top Bottom