• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can apps be ran from off of sd card

Tal

Jul 6, 2011
I apologise if I've posted in the wrong section (just joined :eek:).

I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S2 and getting a 16 or 32 GB card for it.

I was wondering if it is possible to download apps and for them to be directly placed on the memory card. Or if its possible to have apps then moved on to the memory card and from there, run from there. Or are there some apps that cannot be placed/run from a memory card.

Apologize if its a daft question, its just I know nothing about the Android OS.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to Android Forums!

Actually you don't need to root to get more storage if you're not averse to a little work.

If you've got 2.2 or higher You can change the default location to the SD card if you want to. And, once that is changed you can move even more apps to the SD card, even though they were installed to internal memory.

If you want to move more apps to the SD card, you'll need to have the Android SDK installed. How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Then on your phone go to settings>applications>development and enable USB Debugging. Plug your phone into the PC using the USB cable.

open a command prompt on your PC (start>run type "cmd" press ENTER)

Change directory to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder

At the prompt type
Code:
adb devices
and you should see your phone listed as a serial number.

type
Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Done.

Now the default location to install apps is the SD card. And, some apps that you couldn't move to the SD card will now be able to be moved. Keep in mind Widgets and services should always be installed to the phone and not the SD card, so if you follow the steps above and you install a widget afterwards, you will need to go to settings>applications>manage applications and manually move it to the phone. If you want to set the default install location back to the phone, you simply repeat the process but use
Code:
adb shell setInstallLocation 0

Reactions: Tal
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums!

Actually you don't need to root to get more storage if you're not averse to a little work.

If you've got 2.2 or higher You can change the default location to the SD card if you want to. And, once that is changed you can move even more apps to the SD card, even though they were installed to internal memory.

If you want to move more apps to the SD card, you'll need to have the Android SDK installed. How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Then on your phone go to settings>applications>development and enable USB Debugging. Plug your phone into the PC using the USB cable.

open a command prompt on your PC (start>run type "cmd" press ENTER)

Change directory to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder

At the prompt type
Code:
adb devices
and you should see your phone listed as a serial number.

type
Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
Done.

Now the default location to install apps is the SD card. And, some apps that you couldn't move to the SD card will now be able to be moved. Keep in mind Widgets and services should always be installed to the phone and not the SD card, so if you follow the steps above and you install a widget afterwards, you will need to go to settings>applications>manage applications and manually move it to the phone. If you want to set the default install location back to the phone, you simply repeat the process but use
Code:
adb shell setInstallLocation 0

Has far as I know, the Galaxy S2 has 2.3 Android (Ginger Bread).

Thanks very much for the useful reply, I'll refer back to this when I get my Galaxy S2. You have been most helpful, thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones