• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can someone suggest a good dock with dock mode?

John I

Jul 28, 2010
My single biggest disappointment with the S3 vs my old Atrix 4G is the lack of a decent dock. These are the things I am looking for:

- Dock mode (must have)
- Work with a medium sized case like the Acase dual layer
- Cradle and hold the phone with more than just the USB connector!
- Don't care about a spare battery charger
- would be nice if it held the phone in landscape but can live with portrait

I previously bought one of these:
Amazon.com: Amzer AMZ94183 Piano Dock with Audio Out and Dock Mode for Samsung Galaxy S 3 I9300 (AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular, Verizon & GSM Version) - Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

This one worked, but I left it behind in a hotel room recently. It was really wimpy in the way it held the phone with just the USB connector with no cradle. I also had to wiggle it around to get it into dock mode. It was difficult to dock while laying in bed and the light must be on to see while docking. My old Atrix cradle I could do blind because it just slipped into the cradle.

I should mention that this dock is for my bedside to use the phone as an alarm clock while charging each night. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I really want a better dock on round two!

My single biggest disappointment with the S3 vs my old Atrix 4G is the lack of a decent dock. These are the things I am looking for:

- Dock mode (must have)
- Work with a medium sized case like the Acase dual layer
- Cradle and hold the phone with more than just the USB connector!
- Don't care about a spare battery charger
- would be nice if it held the phone in landscape but can live with portrait

I previously bought one of these:
Amazon.com: Amzer AMZ94183 Piano Dock with Audio Out and Dock Mode for Samsung Galaxy S 3 I9300 (AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular, Verizon & GSM Version) - Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

This one worked, but I left it behind in a hotel room recently. It was really wimpy in the way it held the phone with just the USB connector with no cradle. I also had to wiggle it around to get it into dock mode. It was difficult to dock while laying in bed and the light must be on to see while docking. My old Atrix cradle I could do blind because it just slipped into the cradle.

I should mention that this dock is for my bedside to use the phone as an alarm clock while charging each night. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I really want a better dock on round two!

Try this :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008ZVG49C/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356360312&sr=8-6&pi=SL75

Got one of these myself. Definitely recommend.

Reactions: John I
Upvote 0
Well Samsung does sell the Galaxy Universal Multimedia Desktop Dock. May not have all the bells and whistles you're looking for. But it has worked well for me.

Thing I like about it is when you set it in the dock you can enable the dock setting on the SIII to show a calendar, clock with or without the weather or pictures.

Samsung Galaxy Universal Multimedia Desktop Dock

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones