• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier unlocked availablity?

crarbo1

I'm considering this phone and wanted to know if this phone can be purchased carrier unlocked without any bloatware on it? If so, where is a reputable place to get it from?

Also, do I need to get a specific version for GSM in the US (AT&T and Tmobile) or does one model cover everything?

Thanks,
Chuck

I'm considering this phone and wanted to know if this phone can be purchased carrier unlocked without any bloatware on it? If so, where is a reputable place to get it from?

Also, do I need to get a specific version for GSM in the US (AT&T and Tmobile) or does one model cover everything?

Thanks,
Chuck

If you want to get it from a carrier unlocked, you won't be able to since T-Mobile will carrier their own (D6616). It has less frequencies supported since it's tailored for them, has their bloatware and the bootloader is locked.

You could go on eBay and get the unlocked phone. I did that since I gotten the D6633 (Dual SIM), since I use it for both Canada (Fido) and US (AT&T).

The most versatile would be either D6603 to support most worldwide frequencies. If you want Dual SIM, then D6633 would be the alternate choice. The only difference with D6633 is that it does not have LTE Band 13, which you wouldn't have to worry about since no major carrier in the world is using it.

I can tell on the forums like xda, that have either with either D6603 or D6633 will be fine. Some people prefer the additional flexibility of the Dual SIM capability. Since both phones retail for the same price, there is no incorrect choice in choosing.

You could go on eBay and get the unlocked phone. I did that since I gotten the D6633 (Dual SIM), since I use it for both Canada (Fido) and US (AT&T).

The most versatile would be either D6603 to support most worldwide frequencies. If you want Dual SIM, then D6633 would be the alternate choice. The only difference with D6633 is that it does not have LTE Band 13, which you wouldn't have to worry about since no major carrier in the world is using it.
Thanks for the info. Is there any place I could get the D6633 or D6603 other than ebay?

Thanks,
Chuck

Thanks for the info. Is there any place I could get the D6633 or D6603 other than ebay?

Thanks,
Chuck

You can try gsmnation for both models as they import phones.

Hantec and Clove are two other choices if you are mainly looking for D6603 but don't have Dual SIM because Dual SIM is not sold in UK and are authorized dealers.

I bought my from Handtec and had no problems. Recieved a D6603 overnight. Only difference is the network naming icons. LTE works great on AT&T.

Back