• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cell signal, hotspot proximity to computer dilemma

I use my G4 as a hotspot. I need to have the phone near an whole house signal booster to get the optimum signal. The booster is about 20 feet from my computer.

When I put the phone near the booster, my signal per my computer is weak (3 or 4 baars). If I put the phone near my computer the signal per my computer is strong (5 bars).

I realize that 20 feet should not degrade the signal from the hotspot but it seems to.

Would a wifi extender or booster near my computer help if my hotspot is 20 feet away.

I don't see why not, but I've no personal experience with an extender so can't say for sure.

3 or 4 bars shouldn't have much impact on data transmission anyway so I'm not sure why you'd need one? Is your PC having issues connecting?

My G4 worked fine as a hot spot in the hallway whilst I used the laptop in the bedroom (a good 15 feet and through a wall).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones