• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change Hardcoded System Sounds

Warm5Pack

Lurker
I chose the Turbo for it's customizable options, and rooted it to customize even more. Though all I really wanted to do was change the system sounds, which should be a simple task. I found and modified my new wave files to perfection, literally giggling with excitement at what the final product would be like.

Imagine my disappointment when the sounds I really wanted to change weren't in the /system/media/sounds/ui directory. After an exhaustive search, they aren't anywhere. They're hard coded into the system, and must be modable because custom roms use different effects.

I want to change the beep that plays when adjusting the volume, and more importantly, the three distinct tones that play when using the voice assist and Google search.

My voice activation phrase is "Hello, Computer."
I then want it to play the computer activation sound from TNG, followed by other canon sounds as it performs tasks.
I'll try uploading my custom sounds later, after I've reconverted them to a format accepted by this forum.

I know... awesome, right? Unfortunately, it's beyond my abilities. With as much as Google has gone on record saying they want their app to be more and more like the Enterprise computer, its very disappointing that it's so difficult to do exactly that. Anyone up for the challenge?

Welcome to Android Forums.

I moved your thread to the sub-forum dedicated to your root-ed device. There isn't much information. You appear to be the second.

Good luck.

(BTW ... I am using an un0root-ed Turbo.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Hey there Warm5Pack,

Unfortunately as you may have already found out with rooting, that it was really difficult and their still aren't any ROMs out for the Turbo.

Steve has posted a pretty helpful thread regarding the only root method and there are some links in his post that lead to some potential mods and such that you can use to change certain things on your device that require root. I don't know if yours exists, but might as well check it out: http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-root-the-motorola-droid-turbo.911029/

Back
Top Bottom