• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging battery with car charger

ukrkoz

Jul 8, 2011
I tried 2 Verizon car chargers on my Droid, and both produce same result:
after about an hr of driving with it connected(on different vehicles/navigation) a warning message comes up on the screen:

Battery is either too hot or too cold

(go figure) but I must say, that battery compartment indeed is very hot on touch. This does not happen charging from USB or from phone wall charger.

Any ideas? My wife's Continuum has none of this issue, except that battery dies about 30% faster.

I tried 2 Verizon car chargers on my Droid, and both produce same result:
after about an hr of driving with it connected(on different vehicles/navigation) a warning message comes up on the screen:

Battery is either too hot or too cold

(go figure) but I must say, that battery compartment indeed is very hot on touch. This does not happen charging from USB or from phone wall charger.

Any ideas? My wife's Continuum has none of this issue, except that battery dies about 30% faster.

You have a definite problem if the phone is telling you the battery is too hot! Granted, they all get warm when charging but something is wrong with yours. If you have tried 2 Verizon brand chargers than I'd say its most likely your phone.

Talk to Verizon, before you burn something up.

Just my .02

Upvote 0
OK, stopped by Verizon store.
1. battery has 1 yr warranty, just in case
2. CSR told me to never leave car charger connected to phone for extended period of time. He said that Verizon car chargers are rapid charge ones, and will overheat battery. He said to run nav off battery until it's almost dead, then connect charger.

Considering that this overheating happens only with cars chargers, and does not happen with wall or USB charging, I'd give him credit on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones