• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging the Toshiba Excite Pro via USB

Thanks yerwhit
Do you reckon it's safe to attach a mains powered USB lead to try to charge it? Is there a danger of damaging it if the USB slot is meant for data transfer only, not power in? By the way Toshiba answered part of my question and said the tablet can be charged by connecting it to a PC via USB so they got that one wrong, I don't trust them with any answer they give me to the bit about using a mains USB charger.

Upvote 0
No, it will not charge from USB. The voltage (not current) is different, it requires a 12V supply whereas USB is 5V.

As far as I understand, the charger with the 12V supply connects to its own proprietary power port and doesn't use the microUSB socket.
What I meant is connecting an USB charger (5V) to the microUSB socket for charging (like connecting to a PC's USB ).
But I might be wrong about the Toshiba tablet's sockets layout.

Upvote 0
Just to add to this thread to clarify for anyone finding this post after searching the problem like I did.
The micro USB socket on the Excite Pro is NOT connected to the internal charge circuit.

It doesn't matter what type of power supply you connect to that. It will not charge from it.
The only port on the tablet connected to the battery charge circuit is the 3mm mains charger socket.
If you can get (or make) a cable which goes from a 12v cigar lighter to a 3mm plug then it would charge from that. (I don't know the plugs internal pin diameter)
The mains charger outputs 3amps, so less than that would take considerably longer. But why you have a GPS facility on the tablet when you can't charge it in a vehicle I don't know!
frostyboy :(

Upvote 0
Hi Gaz, I've tried it, but doesn't work, only mains cable. Although should be able to charge via 12v car cigarette lighter, enough current if off, you need the right cable, if you can get it.
Cheers,
Yerwhit
I've tried charging it with the car charger. Doesn't do anything. Can't plug it in to a wall charger. Can't find one that it will charge off of. I WAS charging it via USB cable on my husbands' laptop as it wouldn't charge on mine. But that has stopped working as well. That leaves me with just my computer at work to charge it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones