• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Based Recovery v6.0.3.7 for Prevail2/Ring

Koumajutsu

Android Expert
Hey guys, Koumajutsu here.

I have the first build of CWM for our phone. It's nearly complete but quite usable. The only things missing are ADB and I cheated a little in supporting the internal sdcard which may lead to issues if an update.zip wipes /data.
EDIT: looks like ADB works in windows, but not in Linux

(Turns out the internal SDcard is actually a folder in /data)

This works on the Prevail 2. It is untested on the Ring but should work.

I don't have a good screenshot as of this moment, nor a good copy of Odin to use bundled with it. Heimdall works great though :)

here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0b3hr8t14p2p1e/CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar

Thanks go to Koush for supplying the source.
Shabbypenguin for helping me where I got stuck, supplying me with my initial device tree, and helping me deal with fstab issues.
And to OUDHitsquad for motivating and listening to me vent.

I'll get some screenshots up ASAP
2d0g8b8.png

@joemossjr: where would you put it then? lol
there arent any other partitions to put it on

Actually, we probably can. At one point I mounted a partition that may have been intended to be the internal flash. It had no data in it, I accidentally wrote to it, and no bad things have happened (yet). The stock rom may actually have a bug, so a custom rom can probably make this different

So your saying mount it and give it a shot? How big is it?

109050880 bytes, or 106495 Kilobytes, or about 104 Megs

but now that I'm digging again, I cant find where I made the assumption that it was mmcblk0p1.

mmcblk0p1 is device 179, node 1
/dev/fuse is device 10, node 229

I think it may have shown up somewhere as /dev/block/vold/179:1 when I was poking around, but I haven't found it again.

I think i'm just wrong on this

Thanks for replyin Kouma Buddy! Your GP2 guy at the moment Brother. Thank you for the Root Info.Worked like a Charm! If you figure out the Rom dilema let us know Brother.

Thank u koumajutsu, my prevail 2 bricked on me thanks to the update from samsung. Anyways thanks to u because i would haved never been able to flash a stock ring rom which btw works great. First boot in 33 flashes of various fixes of my own. I went ahead and bought a skyrocket which i like anyways. Anyways thanks again

I have a qustion: has anybody had trouble installing this with heimdall on ubuntu? I tried getting the pit file which is important apparently, but got an error message. (can't remember it. I'll get back to you on that.)
also, it asks for a tar.gz file, whereas the file I downloades was a tar file. any help?

I have a qustion: has anybody had trouble installing this with heimdall on ubuntu? I tried getting the pit file which is important apparently, but got an error message. (can't remember it. I'll get back to you on that.)
also, it asks for a tar.gz file, whereas the file I downloades was a tar file. any help?

Use the heimdall commandline. It's what I've done all my own testing with. No windows at home :)

untar the recovery.img out of the file, then use
Code:
sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /path/to/recovery.img

Also,.... here's a neat trick. use adb reboot bootloader to get into download mode before flashing.

For some reason, it prevents the yellow triangle :)

Use the heimdall commandline. It's what I've done all my own testing with. No windows at home :)

untar the recovery.img out of the file, then use
Code:
sudo heimdall flash --RECOVERY /path/to/recovery.img

Also,.... here's a neat trick. use adb reboot bootloader to get into download mode before flashing.

For some reason, it prevents the yellow triangle :)

cool thanks! I'll try this when I get home

I rooted my Prevail 2 with Framaroot, I really want to get rid of all the junk, is it possible to use the ODIN S463927618 3-V3.04 from rbheromax's kernel to install CWM, I have not even heard of heimdall, I have no luck changing or adding code, it always fails, please let me know if this would work, thanks for any help.

I tried so many times to get this to work, but NO, the USB works fine until I get into "Download" mode, which on the Prevail 2 is upload file. I reinstalled the drivers, everything I could think of, ODIN still would not see the port, even went back in time and checked to see if the old ODIN from 3.68 would see the port, nope, is this win 8 problem, I have an old vista machine I have to dig out and see if it will run on that, thank you for all the help, I'll let you know if it works with the old machine.

I tried so many times to get this to work, but NO, the USB works fine until I get into "Download" mode, which on the Prevail 2 is upload file. I reinstalled the drivers, everything I could think of, ODIN still would not see the port, even went back in time and checked to see if the old ODIN from 3.68 would see the port, nope, is this win 8 problem, I have an old vista machine I have to dig out and see if it will run on that, thank you for all the help, I'll let you know if it works with the old machine.

Stop holding the camera button.

No clue what upload mode is for but DOWNLOAD mode is just volume down.
You'll get a warning about installing custom OSes and you follow the prompt to continue (volume up iirc)

Thank you, I just went by what I used for my old prevail, I'll be right back, I'm using the USB tethered to my laptop to get internet

Back
Top Bottom