• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom roms in development?

Fiarre

Lurker
Hi,

I just bought a Warp Sync today and installed TWRP and the deodexed B05 rom by SuperR. Its a fantastic device, but I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of features in the stock ROM. I've tried using a few xposed modules to tweak things, but many of them don't seem to work right on this device.

I was wondering if anyone was working on any custom roms that add functionality to the device, like CM11? I'd really like to have lock-screen widgets, more quick setting tiles, battery percentage on the status bar, etc.

Get the KK Gravity Box for now.. I'm trying to replace my bricked Sync to do a little something

I was looking through the forums for the other ZTE phones and noticed the Zmax has had a lot of development. The Zmax actually has very similar specs to the Warp Sync (same SOC, RAM, etc). Do you think any of the devs would be able to port their roms to the Warp Sync?

Port? No. Ports seem sketchy with these ZTE phones, but to Remake or compile? Possibly. I certainly will do some stuff when I get ahold of a new Sync. Bet on it!

So, I just tried flashing CM12.1 for the ZMax following advice from SuperR... and it worked pretty much perfectly. I'm still testing things out right now, but mostly everything is working.

Edit: Yeah, everything seems to work. I can't test the cellular radio or mobile data because I don't have the phone activated, but everything else works fine. This is the rom I used. Only thing I changed was the line in the updater-script that checked the device model- I changed it from "draconis" to "warp4". It flashed in TWRP just fine after that.

Edit2: Okay, I've found two problems so far: the camera app flips the main camera upside down for some reason. Front facing camera works fine though. Second problem is that the options for remapping the hardware buttons seem to be missing from the "Buttons" section in Settings app. The options show up when you search for them, but they don't actually show up in the settings anywhere. There are probably some other small bugs here and there, but overall it works incredibly well for a rom that was intended for a different phone.

Quick screenshot:
swM3PQX.png

AnTuTu Score (~1000 points higher than KitKat)
sS3gasj.png

Last edited:
That's really awesome! Just an FYI: You may not be able to activate it on CM due to dialer codes in hidden menu (Stock ROM) used to connect/reset data and such.

So, I just tried flashing CM12.1 for the ZMax following advice from SuperR... and it worked pretty much perfectly. I'm still testing things out right now, but mostly everything is working.

Edit: Yeah, everything seems to work. I can't test the cellular radio or mobile data because I don't have the phone activated, but everything else works fine. This is the rom I used. Only thing I changed was the line in the updater-script that checked the device model- I changed it from "draconis" to "warp4". It flashed in TWRP just fine after that.

Edit2: Okay, I've found two problems so far: the camera app flips the main camera upside down for some reason. Front facing camera works fine though. Second problem is that the options for remapping the hardware buttons seem to be missing from the "Buttons" section in Settings app. The options show up when you search for them, but they don't actually show up in the settings anywhere. There are probably some other small bugs here and there, but overall it works incredibly well for a rom that was intended for a different phone.

Quick screenshot:
swM3PQX.png

AnTuTu Score (~1000 points higher than KitKat)
sS3gasj.png
What did you change to allow this to flash I didn't understand ???

The updater script in meta-info folders. Changed the first or second line "draconis" to "warp4". It's basically lying to the device check in the recovery to allow the flash. Good job, really. I wouldn't have chanced it but it IS progress!

The updater script in meta-info folders. Changed the first or second line "draconis" to "warp4". It's basically lying to the device check in the recovery to allow the flash. Good job, really. I wouldn't have chanced it but it IS progress!
What app do you use to edit it?

What app do you use to edit it?
I use gedit in Linux or RB text editor (ROM toolbox pro) on Android. You have to extract it first, make change, then replace in zip (same place you got it) before flashing

I use gedit in Linux or RB text editor (ROM toolbox pro) on Android. You have to extract it first, make change, then replace in zip (same place you got it) before flashing
I do all that but putting it back it won't change is it. Like after I paste back after editting I check it and its the same as before editting

That's because you can't overwrite things in a zip. After extraction, erase the updater still in zip. Then place the new updater script in zip. I use zArchiverPro.apk for that.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I tried CM 12.1 for the Zmax on the Warp Sync and it does work pretty good! If we could get some devs on this we could have a fully functional rom here! This is what I found to be buggish.

Back camera works but is upside down.
Mobile data and phone does work, but no 4G LTE. I think this is due to the Zmax being a GSM phone and the Warp Sync is CDMA. Also the network can't specify an APN, so no MMS.

And all I did was change "draconis" to "warp4" in the updater script. This is an almost rock solid rom that wasn't even made fot this phone. So, it is very promising. I'm not a dev, but I can be a tester if a dev would take CM 12.1 for the Zmax and try to work out the few bugs I listed. Anything to help out.

Edit: I found a fix for the APN. It's a flashable zip.

http://androidforums.com/threads/bo...al-boost-apn-fix-for-d2lte-builds-mod.840501/

I now have LTE on CM 12.1! Everything is perfect. Just the camera bug is all i can find wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-09-13-58-37.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-13-58-37.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Your best bet is probably to contact the original rom dev and ask them to help port it their rom to the Warp Sync.

Hi,

I just bought a Warp Sync today and installed TWRP and the deodexed B05 rom by SuperR. Its a fantastic device, but I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of features in the stock ROM. I've tried using a few xposed modules to tweak things, but many of them don't seem to work right on this device.

I was wondering if anyone was working on any custom roms that add functionality to the device, like CM11? I'd really like to have lock-screen widgets, more quick setting tiles, battery percentage on the status bar, etc.
Cm 11 is out dated lollipop will drop soon once I decide to get the device my lil home will have running in days edited most likely next month IMA jump on this device fast as I can

Last edited:
Hey guys, I tried CM 12.1 for the Zmax on the Warp Sync and it does work pretty good! If we could get some devs on this we could have a fully functional rom here! This is what I found to be buggish.

Back camera works but is upside down.
Mobile data and phone does work, but no 4G LTE. I think this is due to the Zmax being a GSM phone and the Warp Sync is CDMA. Also the network can't specify an APN, so no MMS.

And all I did was change "draconis" to "warp4" in the updater script. This is an almost rock solid rom that wasn't even made fot this phone. So, it is very promising. I'm not a dev, but I can be a tester if a dev would take CM 12.1 for the Zmax and try to work out the few bugs I listed. Anything to help out.

Edit: I found a fix for the APN. It's a flashable zip.

http://androidforums.com/threads/bo...al-boost-apn-fix-for-d2lte-builds-mod.840501/

I now have LTE on CM 12.1! Everything is perfect. Just the camera bug is all i can find wrong.
Nice find worked instantly

Attention Mr @jimsmith80 !! Can we plz get some assistance with an OC kernel for our ZTE Warp Sync? I'll do whatever is necessary to help out but I'm absolutely clueless on what's needed on your end or my PC. Any assistance would be extremely helpful. Ty- Sir. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom