• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DEAF SK user needing strong vibe functions.

LuvCilla

Lurker
I am a 52 year old deaf woman and have been a SK junkie since Jan. 2004. I just purchased a new SK 4G last Wednesday when it was released. I am not happy with it now because it is lacking strong vibe funtions like my 4 previous SKs. I had CSK, SK3, SK2008 and SK LX 2009. I used the "telephone" sound on my SK LX 2009 and it worked beautifully for me. I might consider returning the new SK 4G. I haven't decided yet. :confused: The new SK 4G seems to be MORE hearing friendly than deaf friendly to me.

Do you know any applications for the vibe functions? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Patty

Do you know any applications for the vibe functions? Please let me know.

My wife just got her SK 4G yesterday. The 'old' Sidekicks had an advantage with the many different ways to change the vibrate function by picking different ring/telephone sounds to change the vibration intensity. Android phones don't really have that much flexibility, but ....

For my wife's SK 4G (and my Droid X), what we do is use some different apps from the Market that you can get for free. Gmail only gives a short/weak vibrate. So what we use is "Gmail Notifier" which you can use to set up Vibration mode to "Extra long" then repeat the vibration every 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 30 minutes for 1 - 100 times. So we use that extra long vibrate every 2 minutes for up to 10 times.

Same for text messages. The standard text message program is lousy for reminders. So we use "GoSMS Pro" free from Market. It lets you set up vibration almost same as the Gmail Notifier .... extra long and repeat it. (NOTE: If you use a different text message program, you have to turn off notification in the SK's "Messaging" app to avoid duplicate reminders.)

Not perfect ... and we both miss the 'old' Sidekick phones. But not sure you will find any Android phone with equal vibration function. And from what we've been told by other users, the iPhone vibration is even worse.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom