• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire wi-fi connection dropping

fried

Just recently I've been having a problem with wi-fi on my Desire. It'll work fine when I first turn the phone on, but then after a random amount of time, it stops working properly.

The wi-fi icon is a dot with 3 arcs/curves above it. What happens is that all that's lit up on that icon is the dot. If I try and use anything that requires an Internet connection, I get a network error. Turning wi-fi off and on again sometimes fixes this, but sometimes it doesn't.

Nothing's changed in my router settings and no other devices are having issues connecting. It's not a range issue cos this happens when the phone is on the desk right above where the router is situated. I haven't installed any new apps on the Desire, although I have updated a few, but I can't pinpoint this issue to updating any particular app. This was happening before I updated my phone to software version 2.29.405.2 and it still happens after the update.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this? Obviously, a factory reset might do it, but I'd rather save that for a last resort.

I am having exactly the same problem. I have also seen multiple reports of the same issue throughout this forum.

Basically I am constantly experiencing wi-fi disconnections/dropouts but the status shows I am connected. If I disable and then re-enable wi-fi, I am connected for a very short time and then I lose connectivity. The icon still shows connected.

As soon as I disconnect wi-fi my 3G connection works fine. I have disabled as many apps that are not required in an attempt to isolate an app that may be causing this... no luck.

I have tried multiple channels on my router, and multiple locations. Same thing. At a friend's place, I could connect successfully to his router, but since I first noticed this issue, the same thing was happening there too.

To further confirm this, I have 3 identical routers (Thomson TG782T) and have tried each one separately. I can successfully connect other devices such as laptops and wireless cards on pcs.....fine. Changing channels doesn't resolve this.

The last resort is to reset the phone, but like many have stated in this forum, this would be the last resort.

(Interestingly I recently lost the functionality of my "flashlight", the flashlight app that uses the camera light. The light would not illuminate. This happened about 5 weeks ago. Strangely, I decided to try the flashlight today, and it worked!!!?!!)

This does appear to be a problem with the android software. I am running Android 2.2. I have a HTC Desire from Telstra.

I woke to this sort of problem today. It would not recognise my home BT router. It kept saying "obtaining ip address" or whatever it says in the settings. Then it disconnects and starts again. But when I got to work it picked up my neighbours wireless router that I use. Got home and same problem. Both laptops we have work fine on it.
Any ideas? Should I phone Vodafone?

I'm having a similar problem connecting to our BTHomeHub. Have been connected to it for the past year with no problem. 2/3 days ago I noticed my Desire was not connecting. When I try to connect I get "Scanning, Obtaining IP address, disconected, scanning" and so on. I am successfully connected to BT Openzone at the moment. Also in my list of Wi-Fi networks my BTHomeHub has a padlock over the top of the Wi-Fi bars. Could this be the problem if so how do I get rid of it. If any of you clever people out there can be of help I would appreciate it very much especially if you can make your answers understandable by an old, not very technical lady!! :)

I'm having a similar problem connecting to our BTHomeHub. Have been connected to it for the past year with no problem. 2/3 days ago I noticed my Desire was not connecting. When I try to connect I get "Scanning, Obtaining IP address, disconected, scanning" and so on. I am successfully connected to BT Openzone at the moment. Also in my list of Wi-Fi networks my BTHomeHub has a padlock over the top of the Wi-Fi bars. Could this be the problem if so how do I get rid of it. If any of you clever people out there can be of help I would appreciate it very much especially if you can make your answers understandable by an old, not very technical lady!! :)

You will find that your phone is prefering to connect to bt openzone as it has the option of both, also if i remember correctly your home hub by default is part of the openzone network.

The rest of you having wifi problems try shutting down the phone & then restart it, turn off the mobile internet till it gets a lock on your router, this usually fixes the problem.
Try rebooting your router too.

"You will find that your phone is prefering to connect to bt openzone as it has the option of both, also if i remember correctly your home hub by default is part of the openzone network."
So what do I do now then? As far as I'm aware nothing has changed and the Openzone address has been there for ages with no bother. I've always just managed to connect back with the HomeHub when ever I've been away and returned home again. What does the padlock signify? I've just told the phone to forget the Openzone and tried to reconnect to HomeHub but it gets as far as "obtaining address" and that's as far as it goes. :(

The padlock sign means your wifi is secure
ly locked meaning anyone else trying to use it would need the password which your phone already knows. So I don't think that is the problem. Interestingly, I have also been having the overheating and rebooting problem but ONLY when I am home and having to use the normal network instead of the wifi. Now I am at work and it picks up the wifi here, it isn't overheating!!!

Hi y'all :)

Decided to update my ROM from gingervillain 2.0 tonight. Tried Redux 1.2 but it wouldn't stay connected to wifi ..... authenticates, remembers then disconects and repeats cycle. I the tried the leaked drivers in SU's sig, wifi was fine but couldn't get a network signal.

I then went for GV 2.3 but I am now having the wifi issue again :(

Any ideas??? both ROMs installed after a full wipe.

Just recently I've been having a problem with wi-fi on my Desire. It'll work fine when I first turn the phone on, but then after a random amount of time, it stops working properly.

The wi-fi icon is a dot with 3 arcs/curves above it. What happens is that all that's lit up on that icon is the dot. If I try and use anything that requires an Internet connection, I get a network error. Turning wi-fi off and on again sometimes fixes this, but sometimes it doesn't.

Nothing's changed in my router settings and no other devices are having issues connecting. It's not a range issue cos this happens when the phone is on the desk right above where the router is situated. I haven't installed any new apps on the Desire, although I have updated a few, but I can't pinpoint this issue to updating any particular app. This was happening before I updated my phone to software version 2.29.405.2 and it still happens after the update.

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this? Obviously, a factory reset might do it, but I'd rather save that for a last resort.

I had the same issue at home so logged into the router and changed the wireless channel setting from Automatic to Manual. I then selected Channel 6 and all now goes perfectly. .

I picked this up from another forum. The guy was in Australia and it was something to do with some channels not being utilised there or overseas.

I have a droid desire 2.1 and soon as I leave my home it drops conection for some reason I cant GPS it but I can use the browser,
Soon as I get home if I re power it everything works fine....how should i have my settings set?

hello all

I've been having the same problem getting my Desire to connect to my BT Homehub.

Been trying to figure it put all evening and am officially frustrated now:confused:

So far I've...

turned the mobile data connect off
rebooted the router (BT Homehub)
reset the router channel and fixed it to 6
taken the battery out of my phone for a good hour before puting it back
forgotten and reinstalled the wifi address and password on the phone.

Now several hours later my phone still won't talk to the router. :( It just runs though a loop of commecting, obtaining IP address and then disconnecting.

The router is working OK with other laptops and devices.
My phone has been connecting to other wifi signals (been on holiday immediatly before this happened and used several hotels wifi) without a problem.

And I'm out of ideas about how I can make them link up.

Any suggestions to fix this greatly appreciated as I'm stumped.

Many thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom