• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialing From Hangouts SMS adds a 1 before #

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
I don't know if this is due to the phone, ROM, or Hangouts in general, so hopefully you all can help me out.

I've set Hangouts to be my default SMS app. It works really well and I'm pretty happy with it. But when I tap the phone icon within an SMS in Hangouts, it always pre-populates a 1 before the area code. The 1 is not visible in Hangouts, but it shows up in the dialer. Who else is experiencing the same issues? Is there a way to turn this off?

I'm running NuSense on a Verizon HTC One, but this has happened with other ROMs on the same phone so I assume that it's either HTC or Hangouts...

1 in front of the areracode specifies North America - it's a country code. The reason Hangouts does it is probably because whoever wrote Hangouts doesn't understand the telephone system. Cellphones connected to towers in North America are assumed to be making calls to North America, so whether the 1 is there or not makes no difference. (It's ignored by the system.) It might cause a bit of a problem for someone in, say, England calling someone in, say, France (unless Hangouts works differently there), but if you're in the US or Canada, putting a 1 in front of a phone number or not putting it there makes absolutely no difference. (Every one of my wife's contacts' numbers starts with 1, not a single one of mine do. We both call people with no trouble.)

About the only "anomaly" with cellphones is calling people in an area code in which you're located but your phone isn't registered to. If your number starts with 212 and you're in 404, calling someone with a 404 number, and you don't put 404 in front of the number, you may get the party you want, or you may get someone in the 212 areacode with the same number. (Different carriers misinterpret the standards in different ways.)

But don't worry about the 1 - the system doesn't care either way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones