• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dish Network Streaming

Kevmueller

Android Expert
OK, so I just got an e-mail yesterday from Dish Network that said that you could watch TV shows and movies online. This is a beta site right now, but if you are a Dish customer you can just login and watch movies and current TV shows as well as a tone of old ones.

So with flash on our phones now I had to try this last night and it worked real good. I tried a few movies and had no problems with them at all. Some of the TV shows would not load and I was to tired to see if they would on my PC or not. However this is a great start and it is free to watch movies on the go! Last night I just left on my 3g and did not change to WiFi and it worked just fine.

Here is the link if you need it.

beta.dishonline.com

Looks like there is a "View DVR" option and a "record these shows" option. My reciever isn't connected to the internet so it doesn't work. Would be interested to see if others are able to use it.

So you can't watch live tv through this, but just past tv shows, correct? I'm a sports nut and am trying to find the best way to watch live sports on my Droid. Might have to break down and purchase a sling box.

Correct you can only watch previous shows. Movies seem to have some very current movies that have made it on TV.

I also messed around with my DVR at home since I have it connected to our network. Found out that you have to have the NEW receiver that they have that has slingbox built in.

For sports try ATDHE.net

I pay alot of money for the channels i want....im not calling anyone....dish can fes up and pay like every other carrier...

So do I! And the only Fox channel I watch is FX... and that's only for "Son's of Anarchy" (which I really do miss!). That said... I'm not too keen on paying $20-$40 more a month just to watch SOA.

Thank the Goddess for Hulu!! And the iTunes store!

I use ATDHE.net on my laptop (love it!) and tried it on Dolphin to no avail. Does it work with Skyfire?

Thanks.

I first used it on Skyfire on my TP2, but I unistalled Skyfire on my X after going to 2.2 because the basic browser works better IMO. I have watched some soccer games on ATDHE.net using the browser and it has worked just fine.

There's been lots of talk about this on the Dish Network area on SatelliteGuys, and I think the only way to get the Sling part to work is if you have a VIP 922 receiver.

As for Dish Online, as you guys reported I can get everything working except the shows being fed by Hulu, but what I do get looks amazing. I watched part of the new Star Trek movie after they rolled it out, and it looked great even over 3G.

I'm just waiting for GoogleTV to come out to see how that integrates into Android and Dish.

Sam

I have had a 922 Dish receiver for awhile now, and have been watching TV and recorded shows o n my laptop and net book with great success, especially when traveling. I have been awaiting the ap that will let me watch the same thing on my HTC EVO. Just now tried the BETA site, and found I could not do much. None of the TV shows will play, it just says not available. When i click on MY DVR (upper right) it tells me I am not on line, which, of course, I am. So, I guess some of the things just aren't available yet. It does give me the serial number of my 922, after I log in, but I guess it gets that from my account info. GEEEEEZE! c'mon Dish, I got a lot of stuff on that terabyte drive to watch, some of which is fine on a tiny screen.

You do not need a 922 that has the sling components built in. I have a 722 with a slingbox solo and have the sling player on my droid x and it works great. Live TV or DVR'd events.

Now Fox and Dish on the other hand.....Grrrrrrrr:mad: Missing my gopher hockey!!

played with the site a little today. It recognizes my receiver and lets me see what I have recorded on the 922, on my phone. When I try to play something on my phone , tho, my home tv picture becomes very small - in the upper left corner of the screen and I get a black window on the phone, no audio or video. At first, I had to reboot the 922, but now a channel change will bring the home tv back to normal. Hopefully it will work soon. I did give them my observations for troubleshooting purposes.

this just in...dish sling adapter is for sale- 722/722k recvrs for 99.00+tax. For 105 big ones gonna give it a try..sure beats 300+ for slingbox hd box. Says adapter connects to 722 via usb, plug in internet to recvr and presto...live tv as well as dvr recordings on phone. Have to download free dish online app to access once adapter hooked up. If this thing works like being reported, 105.00 is well worth being able to get ballgames live on phone. Oh..the reviewers are saying the pix is actually better than the 300.00 slingbox hd box. we'll see.

Back in may, I got them to" give" me a 922 DVR for $100. Of course, this is a rental, which is good, since I don't have to pay if it craps out. There has been some problems reported with it, but so far I have been pleased with it.
For a few hours yesterday, the Android app worked really well, but as of 5 last night it was broken. Still is as of 1030am Nov 19.

Have you guys tried the dish app it works pretty good. Much better then the dish site. Kinda neat how you can use it as a remote also. Can't wait for my sling to get here.

this just in...dish sling adapter is for sale- 722/722k recvrs for 99.00+tax. For 105 big ones gonna give it a try..sure beats 300+ for slingbox hd box. Says adapter connects to 722 via usb, plug in internet to recvr and presto...live tv as well as dvr recordings on phone. Have to download free dish online app to access once adapter hooked up. If this thing works like being reported, 105.00 is well worth being able to get ballgames live on phone. Oh..the reviewers are saying the pix is actually better than the 300.00 slingbox hd box. we'll see.

Been playing with my adapter on my Moto Defy, and laptop (while at work) on my 722 since last night. It definitely puts out a cleaner image than my Sling Solo, for both SD and HD images. Plug and play installation (literally, since I already had my 722 online).

What sux is that I just got an Android phone a few weeks ago, since giving back my Droid last December. I bought the Sling Mobile app for $30 about a week ago, and this comes out, with a free "DishNetwork" app. Well, the Dish app provides access not only to the 722's adapter, but my Sling Solo as well. :rolleyes: The Dish app has a few less visible controls, but the Channel and DVR guides make for a better user interface than the paid app...and again, a better picture. Even when comparing SD to SD on the Solo.

I just wonder if being able to push out the feed from Tuner 1 would be better than pushing out the feed from Tuner 2, since Tuner 2, on the box at least, is only SD capable. I expected Avatar to look better than it did on HBO-HD when connecting to the adapter over WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom