• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X or HTC Incredible (Rooted)

ccsoccer03

Aug 23, 2010
Which is a better choice for customization, onscreen texting, speed, battery life, and such. The reason im choosing between these is price. I know that both are good but the DX has a encrypted bootloader so im not sure how that effects it. I currently have an ally and would like to bump up in the future without paying $200-$300. Im very interested in overclocking/roms also.

I prefer the Droid X, locked boot loader and all! The latest Gingerbread release has this thing running great!! Quadrant scores over 2100 at stock clock speeds!! It can be over-clocked with a simple app off the market, Roms are still coming out for the new GB. Battery life is great! lots of use during the day and still last ALL day. To me the DInc feels cheep and plasticy, the X feels more sturdy. Plus the support in this forum for the X is filled with a bunch of people that just want to help. NO DRAMA!!! OH, can't forget the real estate you get with the 4.3" screen.

Another similar post in the X forums
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/334042-droid-x-really-bad.html#post2697692

Upvote 0
Just how bulky is the X on day to day use? And how good can battery life for an incredible be? See i love that the incredible is completely customizable kernal and all. Ive heard battery life isnt so good on htc phones though. I love how big the X's screen is but it seems handicapped to mean as far as aosp and such goes. Im really wanting a cyanogen mod kinda phone that will be supported heavily. I wish i could have both in one lol.

Upvote 0
I keep mine in my pocket, never have liked belt clips. sometimes a little tough with tight jeans, but so was my OG Droid. I'm a Diesel truck tech, and don't have any issues keeping it in my pocket at work, any more so than any other phone. The very thin profile is very nice, and the bump at the top actually helps grip more than hinders it. As far as Cyan, I never was a huge fan of it on my OG Droid, so I haven't missed it much. The only real problem with the locked boot loader is that we can't run any versions of android that has not come from Moto, but seeing as how we now have GB, and I doubt they will have ICS released for any phone over a year old, thats not really much of an issue.

Upvote 0
What about overclocking and tethering? Since the kernel is locked because of the bootloader

Neither are a problem, you can over-clock with apps off the market. Milestone Overclock(free) works for the X and can easily bump you up to 1.3 Ghz, or you could pay $2 for JRummy's app Droid Overclock and get more customization with profiles and all. As for tethering, (REALLY being discouraged due to VZW tracking and tagging) easily done with the number of free and paid apps that USED to be available on the market, IE Wireless Tether, Barnicle, PDANet, Easy Tether.

Upvote 0
i wouldnt tether if i was you, as considering what at&t is doing, verizon wont be far behind, you cant think they wont catch you, at&t caught my buddy who just uses his tether every now and then, so i can only imagine if you use tether on a regular basis with verizon

the camera on this thing is 8mp with hd recording, and lets say the hd recording is amazing! i dont make alot of videos, but when i do record them and see how bright and vibrant they are, im glad i made this choice, and the camera is an 8mp camera, its great, not as good as the iphone 5mp but without a doubt a top contender. i enjoy my X locked bootloader and all. The DINC is an incredible phone(haha) but i dont think it pairs in comparisson to the DX, Battery Life is better, to me i think the DX is faster than the DINC, IMO obviously.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones