• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emergency Cool Down Mode

SMWAS

My Turbo went into emergency cool down mode/emergency cooling mode after I accidentally left it in my car (granted it was only for 20 minutes with an outside temperature of 71, so WTF?). It cooled down almost immediately, and after restarting it, it was no longer in that mode. However, none of the bottom buttons (back, home, recent apps) would work, even after several hours and several cache wipes.

I had my RAZR Maxx HD go into cool down mode once a year ago, and afterwards the back button would not work. It eventually started working again after a few hours, so I thought the problem would correct itself this time.

I searched various forums to find a solutions and saw where this has happened to various Droid users over the years, and none of the responses to those users had been helpful (e.g., try doing a FDR, take it in to Verizon, get a new phone). I tried one final search last night, and some guy noticed that when it happened to him, he missed a call at one point, and then after he checked his visual voice mail, it was working again, but he didn't know if it was coincidental (he thought it was the visual voice mail that might have fixed it). It then dawned on me that last year I did receive a call on my phone, and that the back button started working again sometime after that. So I called my Turbo, and, sure enough, the back/home/recent apps buttons immediately started working again.

So I am just posting this so that when another Droid user has this happens and it trying to find a solution, he or she may run across this thread and know to try calling the phone to fix it before resorting to anything extreme (yes, I consider a FDR to be a very extreme Hail Mary).

FYI, it appears my Moto "Approach for Moto Display" and the "Moto Display" for notifications are still not working after this cool down episode (they were fine before it), so this fix is not a total panacea. Any suggestions?

Thanks for posting. Now, maybe, disable the Moto app, clear the cache, turn phone off then on, enable it and see what happens.

I know I am always getting notifications that my phone is overheating and Verizon won't do a thing about it. It is covered under Warranty, because it's a manufacturers problem.

Back
Top Bottom