• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ethernet capability on tablet?

Cysec

Lurker
Hey all, I know similar questions to this have been asked in numerous different forums, but none of them seem to adequately answer the question:

Are there any Android tablets with some sort of ethernet support? Either through a USB adapter or via some other direct connect device?

The reason I ask is that my employer wants to outfit all of our field techs with tablets and has asked me to come up with a source list, otherwise he's going with the iPad 2 because his wife is a big apple fan...

I doubt it. The ethernet jack is just too big. The iPad doesn't have any ethernet ability that I'm aware of.

Choosing the iPad2 because Android tablets don't have wired ethernet makes no sense... That means that wired ethernet isn't a requirement.

If wired ethernet is a requirement, look at a convertible laptop/netbook thing like Dell and HP sell.

Android 3.2 has added something with the word "Ethernet in it":

Android 3.2 Platform | Android Developers

Quote:
"Network

Network type constants
ConnectivityManager adds the constants TYPE_ETHERNET and TYPE_BLUETOOTH."

I don't know if this means we'll be able to use ethernet cables with an adapter, but I sure as hell think it's something in that sense.

Back
Top Bottom