• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus or Rezound?

jbuck1984

Android Enthusiast
I have the OG incredible, my wife has the samsung galaxy S. I like both phones, they each have their strengths and weaknesses (HTC battery life-weakness). So the nexus vs the rezound is a pretty tough choice for me. The rezound has a faster processor, 1.5 ghz dual core processor, and the phone is Ice Cream Sandwich ready which means either a nice stock version through CM(8?) or Ice Cream Sense. Not to mention, I get an SD card slot. The nexus though will be a very nice phone, developer ready, easy to root, and probably way better battery life. To me its a pretty tough choice.

What are your thoughts. (biased HTC/Samsung fanboys please keep it fair and honest)

Don't let the megahertz battle have any impact on your decision. They are basically the same and you will never notice the difference.

I've been telling everyone to just wait till the 17th, go to the store, play with both, and see which you like better.

To me, the nexus will be android's equivalent to the iphone 4s -- meaning it will be a quality premium device with good specs, a polished os (look what happens on both phones when you rotate the screen), and timely updates. I like the dialer on sense, and I'm sure the screen is great, but the lack of ics, and standard styling on the rezound are making me lean towards the nexus.

most people do not know that the rezound was HTC's offering to google for the next nexus.

Any source to back up that? I heard that Nexus manufacturer was selected in Q1 already and Google selected OMAP4 platform for its video capability in ICS.

S3 snapdragon < OMAP 4430 is proven through many benchmarks and Nexus has even better 4460 processor. 300Mhz faster clock won't change that. For me, Nexus wins on processor, screen, battery life, stock ICS, slim form factor. Audio, camera need to be seen between two though.

One thing for sure, I'm not too worried about ICS right out the box. It is certainly a consideration, but both phones will be rooted and roms featuring ICS will be common. In fact, I think HTC gets better ROM development than Samsung based on the the inc vs galaxy s rom list. (I could be wrong)

Any source to back up that? I heard that Nexus manufacturer was selected in Q1 already and Google selected OMAP4 platform for its video capability in ICS.

S3 snapdragon < OMAP 4430 is proven through many benchmarks and Nexus has even better 4460 processor. 300Mhz faster clock won't change that. For me, Nexus wins on processor, screen, battery life, stock ICS, slim form factor. Audio, camera need to be seen between two though.

Good points, battery life I think will be a huge deciding factor, HTC can't afford another battery hog when Samsung seem to always come through on device power longevity.

most people do not know that the rezound was HTC's offering to google for the next nexus.

Yeah, thats not true at all.

The 4460 in the Nexus is better then the Snapdragon s3 in the Rezound. I am sure both phones will be good but the Nexus is the one the get. The Nexus also has NFC which may not be big for some people but I think its cool. A lot of stores are starting to support it so it could be useful.

One thing for sure, I'm not too worried about ICS right out the box. It is certainly a consideration, but both phones will be rooted and roms featuring ICS will be common. In fact, I think HTC gets better ROM development than Samsung based on the the inc vs galaxy s rom list. (I could be wrong)

I agree on more ROMs for Inc than SGS, but Nexus is whole different one from other Samsungs and it's almost guaranteed to get great dev supports.

Long and short of it? It's great to have choices. I remember the day when Verizon's best touch screen smartphone was the xv6900 (htc touch). You needed a stylus. I went through that phone and the Samsung i730. Sigh.

Great to have choices, no?

Im leaning towards the Nexus for the fact that it is a pure google phone which hopefully brings a great dev community. I remember reading somewhere that they are predicting great dev support like OG D1 had back in the day, I am hoping that proves to be true.

I have a FEEELING that vzw is going to surprise us with a bigger battery. Just my gut. I neeeeed better battery. I also need state of the art. Right now that's the Gnex. I'm going with that. I'll try to be happy for 18 months.. ;)

The only problem with the Rezound and every other 2.x phone is that they don't have the soft keys built into them like the Galaxy Nexus.

So right now the only future proof phone for maximizing the size of your screen when upgrading to ICS is limited to one phone on Verizon: The Galaxy Nexus.

We are in 2 year contracts now so we have to stretch out our phones unless we have disposable income and the ability to sell your old phone for a decent price to upgrade early.

Long and short of it? It's great to have choices. I remember the day when Verizon's best touch screen smartphone was the xv6900 (htc touch). You needed a stylus. I went through that phone and the Samsung i730. Sigh.

Great to have choices, no?

I still have 2 i730s with cradles and extended batteries laying around if you are in need of some qwerty Win action.

My main concern is build quality and phone abilities. Will I be able to hear the person on the other end and what is the sound quality. HTC has always felt super plasticky where as Samsung has been solid, not Apple (pre iphone 4 glass shattering) tank like solid but decent. With updates coming directly from Google for the GN, puts it at the top for me as I hate waiting on updates from the carrier.

I'd take the GNex all day long. To me HTC is getting very long in the tooth, same tired design, same tired battery life, same shotty build quality, in essence...same old!

GNex should be future proof right out of the box. Samsung puts together a very solid phone IMO,and with pure Google and an ease for updates...you can't go wrong.

There is a con of course...
No SD card slot! Lol...to me that's just about all I see...And maybe if your a person who enjoys sense, well them the Rezound is your pick if that's the case.

I think for the most part alot of people will have a harder time choosing between the GNex and the Razr!

Ice Cream Sandwich-ready? To me, that doesn't mean anything. Sure, they're going to put ICS on it. Did anybody think they wouldn't?

Maybe I should start saying that the DX is ICS-ready...and will probably never see it.

Ice Cream Sandwich-ready? To me, that doesn't mean anything. Sure, they're going to put ICS on it. Did anybody think they wouldn't?

Maybe I should start saying that the DX is ICS-ready...and will probably never see it.

Yep, just a marketing gimmick to sway people from the Nexus.

The Rezound does have a market, especially Beats fans, but get ready for an extended battery.

The best part is there are three top tier phones, all catering to different markets, all being released within 1 week of each other. Verizon should be commended for this, I hope they are well rewarded in new customers, to convince them to continue to do this in the future.

I have a FEEELING that vzw is going to surprise us with a bigger battery. Just my gut. I neeeeed better battery. I also need state of the art. Right now that's the Gnex. I'm going with that. I'll try to be happy for 18 months.. ;)

I like the emphasis on "i have a feeling" or someone might take that as fact !

I agree, when they said lte version would be thicker, I don't think they mean from the radio. Especially when you looking at the thiness of the RAZR.

For me the deciding factor is the battery. The Rezound is by HTC, has a 1.5ghz dual core CPU on a 4G network with a 16-something ma battery. All 4 of those things bode poorly towards battery life.

But everyone has their own criteria so if your near a charger through most of the day, it'll be fine.

Edit: I didn't mean to sound snarky, but I can't think of how else to word it. I suspect the battery life will be a problem.

People keep discussing the thickness of the GNex being better than the Rezound. I don't doubt that the GNex will be thinner, but if I recall P3Droid had some pictures of a LTE version of the GNex. It definitely looked thicker than the one shown at the press conference. And, I know that wasn't necessarily the Verizon GNex, but I am assuming we can expect something similar. So the size we do know is 8.94mm and if you add in some thickness for the LTE model I don't think it is ridiculous to assume an extra 3-4mm, putting it not that far behind the 13.65mm of the Rezound. Any thoughts?

The only problem with the Rezound and every other 2.x phone is that they don't have the soft keys built into them like the Galaxy Nexus.

So right now the only future proof phone for maximizing the size of your screen when upgrading to ICS is limited to one phone on Verizon: The Galaxy Nexus.

We are in 2 year contracts now so we have to stretch out our phones unless we have disposable income and the ability to sell your old phone for a decent price to upgrade early.

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. I wouldn't be able to live having both hardware and software buttons on the rezound once it's upgraded to ICS. Maybe ICS won't show the software buttons if it knows there are hardware buttons? if so, maybe this isn't so much of an issue in the loss of screen real estate with software buttons on the 4.3" screen.

I will still play with both before a final decision. Especially if the nexus comes with the locked bootloader. Nexus still has the edge for me though.

Joe

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. I wouldn't be able to live having both hardware and software buttons on the rezound once it's upgraded to ICS. Maybe ICS won't show the software buttons if it knows there are hardware buttons? if so, maybe this isn't so much of an issue in the loss of screen real estate with software buttons on the 4.3" screen.

I will still play with both before a final decision. Especially if the nexus comes with the locked bootloader. Nexus still has the edge for me though.

Joe
The screen buttons won't show if you have hardware/capacitive buttons.

It really depends on the person. The average consumer will probably prefer the Rezound for the following reasons:
- Beat Audio
- 1.5GHz vs 1.2GHz
- SD Card slot
- Phone build (feels sturdier. The GNex is mostly plastic and feels a little bit 'fake' to me. Kind of like the Charge.)

Now for the more tech savvy and people who know how to use their phone for more than just making calls and checking emails we will probably pick the GNex. It's a pure Google experience, gets updated quicker than anyone else and straight from the source, and will have a great dev community.

Ultimately though, the majority of people out there are you average consumers who don't want to root or rom and just want the phone to preform fast. it's going to be interesting but that's just my 2 cents.

I am holding out for the GNex and am hoping VZW doesn't lock the bootloader and bloat it up.

will verizon let you upgrade after 18 months or something? they got rid of the 1 year contracts which sucks

Back
Top Bottom