• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus to Maxx...VZW exchange ???

After speaking with VZW last night about the data connection issues with my Gnex and with a little persuasion, they offered to let me trade out for a Razr. Upon asking for the Maxx, she said absolutely not but gave me until tonight at 8pm to make a decision. I worry that I won't be happy with the regular Razr without a switchable battery, but the Maxx would be a great option due to the battery life. I'm already struggling with missing ICS and the GNex screen, but it's been over 5 months with no update...kinda defeats the purpose of having a Nexus. Has anyone been successful in switching out to the Maxx?

Yes. I was successful last week switching from a Galaxy Nexus to a Droid RAZR Maxx on a corporate line on tier 2 support. I'm glad I made the switch. Battery life has been amazing, even with heavy use I'm able to go for 17-18 hours with one charge. It is also nice to actually be able to use the 4G LTE connection with reliability. I miss ICS, but hopefully that will be taken care of very soon on my Maxx! The screen isn't that big of a change, IMHO. The pros of switching definitely outweigh the cons!

I have been complaining to Verizon since early January about the one-way audio issues on the Nexus. When I called a few weeks ago with the same issue post-4.0.4, I told them we are going to do something that resolves my issue. I said we have three options: 1. Tell me when this issue is going to me fixed, if ever; 2. Send me a new-in-the-box Nexus; 3. Put me in another device. The tech support rep told me that Samsung no longer lists the one-way audio issue as an open issue, and his internal Verizon screens show it's still an open issue with an unknown resolution date. He said as much as he'd like to put me in a new Nexus, he can't, so he said he'd send me a Razr Maxx. He offered, I didn't ask. I accepted without hesitation. What choice did I have?
Were you on the original nexus that you bought from the verizon store when they offered you your maxx? Or were you on your 3rd or 4th nexus? Ans thanks for the quick replies! Thus is my first post on Phandroid and I appreciate the replies!

I bought my Nexus through a website. I prefer to deal with the folks on the phone because my experience with the folks in my local store has been less than pleasant. I've been through three exchanges but I'm still on my original device because they all had display issues. I spoke with tech support, not a CSR. And I believe it was a Tier 2 support person. Hope that helps!

Were you on the original nexus that you bought from the verizon store when they offered you your maxx? Or were you on your 3rd or 4th nexus? Ans thanks for the quick replies! Thus is my first post on Phandroid and I appreciate the replies!

Also, who did you talk to? Tier 2 tech support? A supervisor?...ect

I'm currently on my third Nexus and they just agreed to trade me out for the Razr Maxx.

Like Lucky and so many others, I am dealing with the muted call issue where I can hear the other person just fine, but they can't hear me. I've been working with Tier 2 tech support for about a month trying to resolve my issue and they can't do it.

As far as changing phones, it normally depends on who you talk to and how long the issue has been ongoing. You normally won't get a different phone just because you aren't satisfied with the battery life. They will usually recommend some battery saving tips or offer to sell you an extended battery. I know my Nexus was getting 15 to 17 hours of life with the extended battery and in most circles that is considered very good for an Android phone (ok not the Maxx, but every other Android phone). In the end, if you aren't experiencing some sort pf phone related problem beyond short battery life they probably won't listen for too long.

BTW, I was also offered the Razr at first and convinced them to move me into a Razr Max. I argued that I was giving up that gorgeous screen and longer battery life was the only real trade off out there.

What did you say was wrong with your phone to get Tue replacement? I've called and had no luck

Have you tried discussing the issue with a supervisor? With tier 2 support? How many calls have you made to Verizon tech support?

Verizon isn't likely going to just hand anyone a new phone before they've exhausted all possibilities in terms of trying to resolve the issues at hand. And switching someone to a different model phone will likely be their last resort as the cost gets absorbed internally by the support organization... and would likely require the approval of a supervisor or manager.

Unfortunately there are most likely a lot of people who call tech support to try to get new phones. I'm sure it would take some rather compelling reasons for them to justify the cost of providing a different phone.

I have just called once(the reason being is that I'm looking for some advice here for the next time I call). I plan on calling tomorrow again. I have only spoken to tier 2 tech support but will try a supervisor. I complained of a horrid battery life as my chief complaint(stupid of me probably) but I will bring up bad signal strength next time. Also the charging port just broke so I'll have to get a replacement device regardless if they will give me a maxx or not. Hopefully they'll swap my nexus for a maxx and make me a happy camper :)

Thanks again for all the replies!

As it was said earlier, poor battery life would not be a reason why a carrier will put you into a new device. They will tell you it's due to an app that's keeping the phone awake and tell you to wipe the phone. If you're really having that much of a problem with battery life, I would suggest installing cpuspy or something similar to see what's chewing through your battery. Or you can simply check the battery stats under ICS as well. It's even possible that you've got a wonky battery. How long are you getting on a charge? If you're getting about a day's worth of use in a 4G area, that's about average for a 4G phone. I am a moderate user and I'm in a 3G area and I still had to charge my Nexus almost daily.

If the charging port on your phone broke, then they will send you a refurbished Nexus to replace it. And you're going to have to go through several replacement Nexus phones before they will even entertain the thought of putting you in another device. Trust me, I've been working with Verizon support for the past 6 months and went through three refurb Nexus devices before they put me in the Maxx. They're not going to say, "Sorry you're not happy with the battery life; here's another phone for your troubles." I'm not trying to be a jerk so please don't misunderstand; I'm just trying to let you know of my experiences, as I've been a Verizon customer a long time and this isn't my first rodeo.

I'm getting about 5hours on a standard battery and 6 on an extended. I have 3 Samsung batteries and 2 non OEM batteries, non of which can get me through the day. Maybe I have a bad nexus that just can't get through the day. I'll find out in a day probably...assuming I have a replacement nexus by then

I hope that if I end up not liking the phone I just ordered (from verizon) that they will let me exchange it.

I almost got the Maxx, it was one of the three I initially narrowed my selection down to.
The other was the samsung s3.
The other was the one I got (free and purple).

Samsung s3 has heating issues.
razr maxx has screen cracking issues.
Both would have cost me a few hundred more than free (for the same plan commitment).

I hope that if I end up not liking the phone I just ordered (from verizon) that they will let me exchange it.

I almost got the Maxx, it was one of the three I initially narrowed my selection down to.

Both would have cost me a few hundred more than free (for the same plan commitment).

you don't have to worry about screen cracking issues if u have a case...or just don't put yourself in a position where its possible that you will drop your phone

What did you say was wrong with your phone to get Tue replacement? I've called and had no luck

I told them that I was having signal issues, never getting more than 1 bar anywhere I went. And I told him my build number which was the leak of 4.0.4 and he did a Google search and found that it was available. So right then he said well since you have had on going issues and an update didn't fix them we will get you into a new device. 15 minute phone call and my awesome maxx was here the next day

I told them that I was having signal issues, never getting more than 1 bar anywhere I went. And I told him my build number which was the leak of 4.0.4 and he did a Google search and found that it was available. So right then he said well since you have had on going issues and an update didn't fix them we will get you into a new device. 15 minute phone call and my awesome maxx was here the next day

How many replacement phones did you have before they sent you a maxx? Any?

Verizon bases their exchange policy on the full retail value of a device. Since it sounds like you ordered the Rhyme (retail value of $439.99) they will not let you exchange it for the Razr Maxx (retail value of $649.99) unless you are willing to pay the difference.

The Rhyme is a pretty nice little phone though. It is what my girlfriend uses and she loves it. The accessories that come with it make it even better. I wish all phones came with those accessories.

i switched out the nexus for the maxx like two weeks ago and ive never been happier with a phone. if anyones still thinking about the switch, do it.

To anyone who is looking to try to get a Nexus swapped for a CLN Maxx...

I tried calling about 8:00pm eastern time and was told no way. She said it was not a possibility ever. I called two days later at around noon(eastern time) and spoke to a very nice rep who, even though sent me another nexus, my first replacement, said that it was possible to switch me a phone. I don't know if it was the time of day when people more likely to swap a device are working, but she was at least a lot more reasonable about it. I asked her if she could call me back in a week to see if my issue is resolved, and if its not maybe I can get a maxx. Maybe it was just the rep I got, but I'm thinking a better, "nicer" shift, more likely to swap a device, works during the day.

I'm getting about 5hours on a standard battery and 6 on an extended. I have 3 Samsung batteries and 2 non OEM batteries, non of which can get me through the day. Maybe I have a bad nexus that just can't get through the day. I'll find out in a day probably...assuming I have a replacement nexus by then

Are you in a 4G area? How about installed apps? Those are two major things that could be causing your short battery life. Check to see if you have an app that's keeping your phone awake.

I am in a 4g area. And I don't know how to tell what apps are keeping my phone awake

Settings > Battery

This will show you what is using the highest percentage of the battery.

Settings > Data usage

This will tell you which apps are using the most data

These two areas in ICS should show you what is consuming the most of your battery life.

Well I got a replacement Nexus...It has the same battery life and had horrible signal issues. They offered me a Razr. I asked for a Maxx instead but they would not let me have it. I even talked to a supervisor. He said that the Nexus and the Maxx are not comparable devices. Price was higher on the Maxx(on-contract. He said "the fact that the price off contract was the same for the nexus as the maxx, that doesnt matter") and the Maxx had a longer battery life, however he seemed to ignore the face that I kept telling him about the HD screen, NFC, and stock android.

He said before they send me a replacement Nexus or anything, I had to go to my local Verizon store and they had to make sure something was wrong with my phone. Then he would call back and ask me for the report.

Any ideas how to get them to offer me a Maxx???

Back
Top Bottom