• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gingerbreak - need space

nycyaga

Lurker
Finally decided to root my lg optimus V. According to phone specifications, I should be able to do a gingerbreak root. I downloaded the file to my phone. But - alas - the file won't open. At 4.48mb there is not enough space to open it. My phone is about as clean as can be. All apps uninstalled (except for a fikle manager), caches clean, sd card formatted.
The original problem was rapid shrinkage of internal storage.
I want to know if there is a solution for running gingerbreak.
Are there files somewhere that can safely be deleted?
Many Thanks! yaga

The Gingerbreak.apk should have downloaded to the download folder on the sd card. You cannot download from a PC. It has to be downloaded from a browser on the phone.

If you have the stock 2GB sd card just move some things over to a folder on the computer until your done with the rooting process. Leave the Android, .android_secure, LOST.DIR, and download folders.

If you get a virus warning, disregard. You might have to delete the virus protection from the phone during download and install.

Use Andro Zip, Root Browser, or ES File Explorer to move Gingerbreak.apk to the root of the sd card (not in any folder, but in the same directory as the folders- /sdcard).

I used Dolphin Browser a couple of years ago to download the .apk because the stock browser was giving me fits.

Make sure you got the Gingerbreak-v1.20.apk from the second post here: [App] [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Go to settings/applications. Make sure you check the allow from unknown sources before you download the .apk. Then go to the development option and make sure that the Debugging option is checked.

Once you have moved the .apk to the root of the sd card, then with a file manager just tap, or long press (depends on the file manager) the Gingerbreak.apk to bring up the install option. Once it has installed, select done.

Go to your app drawer and select the Gingerbreak application.

It it doesn't auto reboot the phone after 12 minutes, pull battery and try again. Could take up to as many as 10 tries (usually roots before 5th try though).

Once you are rooted then you need to make a backup of your Stock ROM from a custom recovery. This is very, very important.
For more info on this go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...all-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

If unsure of anything just ask. I would be happy to answer your questions.

Hi AndieOpie,

Many thanks for your thorough reply.
Unfortunately, I cannot download the gingerbreak apk from the phone at all: "not enough phone storage space"..
The phone has: SD card 3.70 gb/3.71 gb
Internal phone storage: 4.02 mb/ 179 mb
Is it hopeless to root the thing?

Have you cleaned your caches? Download a good cache cleaner and clean caches. Download AppTyrant. Open it up. It auto saves all apps to a folder on sd card. Transfer all data from SD card to your computer. Put SD card back in phone. Delete apps. Now you have plenty of room. If it won't download from stock browser try Dolphin browser. Download ES file explorer. Move Gingerbreak.apk out of download folder into /sdcard directory. Tap to see the install option.

Hi AndieOpie,

Many thanks for your thorough reply.
Unfortunately, I cannot download the gingerbreak apk from the phone at all: "not enough phone storage space"..
The phone has: SD card 3.70 gb/3.71 gb
Internal phone storage: 4.02 mb/ 179 mb
Is it hopeless to root the thing?

Delete or move apps: menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Menu physical button ( to the Left of home button) > Sort by size and touch an app that is at least 10 MB in size, that will take you to a menu of "Uninstall" or " Move to SD card". 10 MB should be enough for Gingerbreak.apk, and follow AndieOpie instructions. Gingerbreak.apk-v1.20 is only 295 kB.

bun

Hi AndieOpie and bunanson - thanks again for helping! Caches are all clean. I wiped the sd card and reset the phone. I only have pre-installed apps. I downloaded the tyrant. I moved files from the sd card to my desk top.
The numbers are the same:
Sd Card total: 3.71gb available: 3.70
Phone internal storage> Total 160mb (about that much) availability: 5.16. That's not enough (phone storage full) to download the gingerbreak file.
So weird. There must be a cancer somewhere that eats away at the storage.
If there are no more possibilities, should I contact the manufacturer or should I just write it off as 'bought cheap, got what I paid for."

Could try it anyway. Sounds like something is not reading the internal storage right.

Back
Top Bottom