• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gorilla Glass is a Must Have

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
After going from the Droid X to the Rezound, I've learned the importance of having Gorilla Glass on a phone...fortified glass is not the same thing. I've had the Rezound for a few weeks and the screen is already dinged and scratched. As opposed to the GG-packin' Droid X which lasted almost a year with any marks.

I wish all manufacturers used GG.

I'm sure there are people that suggest putting a case or screen protector on the phone when you first get it, but I argue that it would make more sense for the manufacturer to make a better product.

I would rather pay a few extra bucks to the manufacturer for a phone made with GG instead of having to buy an aftermarket screen protector..

I agree that GG should be used. Although my iPod I've been using for about 10 months only has a small nick in the screen from when I stabbed it with a pen, I know it will get scratched sooner or later on accident. It just hasn't run into the situation where it can be scratched yet. I will continue running it naked though.

Cases add too much bulkiness, I'd rather have to be slightly more careful with it. The only cases I would ever consider using is one that adds extra features, such as a kickstand for watching movies, or the case that lets you set the phone on a wireless charging pad.

Upvote 0
Gorilla Glass is one of the first things I check for when considering a new phone. My OG Droid (now in my son's hands) is still scratch free after 27 months. Now my Otterbox Defender for my Bionic has a built-in screen protector, which I appreciate more now that I also bought a used Droid X with a small scratch on the Gorilla Glass.

Upvote 0
After going from the Droid X to the Rezound, I've learned the importance of having Gorilla Glass on a phone...fortified glass is not the same thing. I've had the Rezound for a few weeks and the screen is already dinged and scratched. As opposed to the GG-packin' Droid X which lasted almost a year with any marks.

I wish all manufacturers used GG.

I'm sure there are people that suggest putting a case or screen protector on the phone when you first get it, but I argue that it would make more sense for the manufacturer to make a better product.

I would rather pay a few extra bucks to the manufacturer for a phone made with GG instead of having to buy an aftermarket screen protector..

Gorilla Glass is just another brand name. I'm sure there are other companies that have glass just as strong as anything Corning puts out, but don't quite have the marketing hype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones