• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Got new Optimus V (VM) rooting question

racer00

Just got a Optimus V with Virgin Mobile, I rooted a phone a year or so ago with help from this board, but having some issues knowing what to do and not to do with this phone. I am kind of a noob when is comes to rooting, so please help a brother out, what should I use? Is there an easy way to do this? I feel lost when reading through the all things root thread... This phone is just activated and barely outta the box, so I'm just trying to see what my best options are for it.

I'm just overwhelmed by all the rooting info and threads and I dont want to mess up my phone.

Thanks

If I remember right, there is a one click root app (don't remember name)

Then you need to flash a custom recovery

Then make a nandroid backup in whatever recovery you choose

Then you can flash a Rom or a superuser.zip to give you root.

Been away from the optimus a bit but it is a very simple phone to root and flash....and very easy to fix most issues

Last I heard Rom Manager is still not good, so stay away from it and you'll be good to go!!!!

Just got a Optimus V with Virgin Mobile, I rooted a phone a year or so ago with help from this board, but having some issues knowing what to do and not to do with this phone. I am kind of a noob when is comes to rooting, so please help a brother out, what should I use? Is there an easy way to do this? I feel lost when reading through the all things root thread... This phone is just activated and barely outta the box, so I'm just trying to see what my best options are for it.

I'm just overwhelmed by all the rooting info and threads and I dont want to mess up my phone.

Thanks

Root methods all depend on what baseband you have.
If its zv4 you can use gingerbreak.apk
if its zv5 you can also use gingerbreak.apk
if its zv9 you HAVE to use a computer and jcases rootme script.
I'll get a link with info on these things.

Edit:
Root Exploits
  • EManU3LXXX Optimus V Root.zip This will work with the ZV9 update as well as all other older firmware versions and uses the Gordita exploit.
  • Gingerebreak.apk This will not work with the ZV9 update. This is for all other older firmware versions.

Root methods all depend on what baseband you have.
If its zv4 you can use gingerbreak.apk
if its zv5 you can also use gingerbreak.apk
if its zv9 you HAVE to use a computer and jcases rootme script.
I'll get a link with info on these things.

Edit:
Root Exploits
  • EManU3LXXX Optimus V Root.zip This will work with the ZV9 update as well as all other older firmware versions and uses the Gordita exploit.
  • Gingerebreak.apk This will not work with the ZV9 update. This is for all other older firmware versions.

how to I find out what base I have?

thanks

NM i found it, i have ZV5

Well I think I messed up...

oh well, guess I will try again later.

I followed the steps got to flashing the new rom (MiRaGe ROM) rebooted, and now I get the CyanogenMod logo with the spinning wheel... the wheel stopped spinning.... been like that a while now... *sigh*

this sucks....

I followed the steps got to flashing the new rom (MiRaGe ROM) rebooted, and now I get the CyanogenMod logo with the spinning wheel... the wheel stopped spinning.... been like that a while now... *sigh*

this sucks....

reboot into recovery (power + volume down + home) and do a factory style data wipe. I don't think thats what its called, it should say factory something depending on what recovery you used.

this sucks....
It sometimes happens when your new to rooting and installing customs ROMs, but it also happens to use seasoned hackers as well.

First: Check the md5 sum of the downloaded ROM.zip to make sure it matches with the one at the developers site.
If it doesn't match the download got corrupted. Try to download again.
If it does match then lets us know what recovery you installed so we can explain what to wipe and format before trying to install again.

PS: You have made it thru the hardest part if you managed to root/install a flash_image/install a custom recovery. Once you have it figured out you will find that flashing ROM's is easier than changing a babies diaper.

This thread should be moved to the all things root subforum. ;)

Okay...it's gonna be...wait for it..."legend-"...
done!

You thought I was gonna say "dary", didn't you? ;) :p :)

barney-stinson-meme-generator-legend-wait-for-it-dary-108aab.jpg
:)

It sometimes happens when your new to rooting and installing customs ROMs, but it also happens to use seasoned hackers as well.

First: Check the md5 sum of the downloaded ROM.zip to make sure it matches with the one at the developers site.
If it doesn't match the download got corrupted. Try to download again.
If it does match then lets us know what recovery you installed so we can explain what to wipe and format before trying to install again.

PS: You have made it thru the hardest part if you managed to root/install a flash_image/install a custom recovery. Once you have it figured out you will find that flashing ROM's is easier than changing a babies diaper.

Ok I am starting fresh again, I want to make sure I have the correct files and doing this in the correct steps.

(sorry about all the noob questions) I did read through the "all things root" thread I was just totally overwhelmed by all the info there.

So what should I use to root/install a flash_image/install a custom recovery?
Then what ROM do you think is the best to use?

Again I know I suck for asking noob questions....

thanks for all the help.

PS. Right now I am rooted and thats it, I dont want to go any further until I know what to do

Go to that same "All Things Root Guide" sticky (ATR Guide). Guides section. "How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, and theme".
You should have a custom recovery already installed,right? If this is the case you already have the proper flash_image installed, so no need to do that part. The ZenGarden recovery is the best to use, and the latest MiRaGe ROM is the best ROM for our phone.
Having flashed a recovery already you can skip line 3 and 4 in section 6a.

Note: For the MiRaGe ROM go to the ATR Guide/ROM's/IHO GitHub Wiki and download the MiRaGe ROM for the V by mrg666.
Once you have gotten the ROM installed and rebooted it a couple of times, go to the market and download "Check Rand Entropy Avail" app. If the entropy value is below 3000 then go to the ATR Guide and go to the Tweaks section. Download the entropy_n_rngd-tool for the MiRaGe ROM. This will make the phone super smooth.

I am so dumb, I went to a buddy that said he could fix it and now I think its really messed up, I think he unrooted my phone and did a factory restore on it, so now I can it only boots to the recovery menu...

I guess its the recovery menu, when I reboot it says ZenGarden 2.0.3.3-T ( thats the recovery I had on it)

so now what?

I hate friends sometimes...

this sucks, searching online everywhere and Im not sure how to fix this... I just bricked my phone huh? :(

I see many different things that I could do to maybe fix this, but I dont know what to put on my SD card to get it going again... links are either dead or something..

I am so dumb, I went to a buddy that said he could fix it and now I think its really messed up, I think he unrooted my phone and did a factory restore on it, so now I can it only boots to the recovery menu...

I guess its the recovery menu, when I reboot it says ZenGarden 2.0.3.3-T ( thats the recovery I had on it)

so now what?

I hate friends sometimes...

this sucks, searching online everywhere and Im not sure how to fix this... I just bricked my phone huh? :(

I see many different things that I could do to maybe fix this, but I dont know what to put on my SD card to get it going again... links are either dead or something..

If you are in zengarden recovery, with the soft keys at the bottom, you"ll see a back arrow, then a down arrow, up arrow, rectangular box. With the down arrow scroll down the menu to advanced, click on rectangle this will select, scroll down to debugging, select with the rectangle, now scroll down to quickfix select with rectangle, phone should reboot.
Download MiRaGe Rom and gapps, put them on the root of your sdcard, make sure you make a backup of your stock rom and backup all your apps. Follow Andy's guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html .

Hope i didn't confuse you, need more help, post back let us know how it's going.

If you are in zengarden recovery, with the soft keys at the bottom, you"ll see a back arrow, then a down arrow, up arrow, rectangular box. With the down arrow scroll down the menu to advanced, click on rectangle this will select, scroll down to debugging, select with the rectangle, now scroll down to quickfix select with rectangle, phone should reboot.
Download MiRaGe Rom and gapps, put them on the root of your sdcard, make sure you make a backup of your stock rom and backup all your apps. Follow Andy's guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html .

Hope i didn't confuse you, need more help, post back let us know how it's going.

After going to quick fix, its has "install without sd" "fix premissions" and "fix recovery boot loop" what do i do?

I tried fix recovery boot loop and it didnt do anything but reboot back to recovery....

which gapps do I download, at the guide the link shows a bunch of them... (http://goo.im/gapps/) I am a total noob with this stuff, I should have never messed with it to begin with...

this sound dumb but is my stock rom still there? and I just got the phone I didnt even download any apps yet.

thanks

I feel totally lost, I have no clue, I guess this phone is trashed, I wasted money on it after trying to mess with it... this so sucks....

i tried everything I know (which isnt much) what are my options now? I feel that I am messing it up more. Is there anyway to start this fresh and get this to work? Using my pc or something?

and thank you for all the help, it is very much appreciated, I'm just ready to pull my hair out with this thing...

Follow this guide to the letter http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html Since you already have zengarden, start at part 7 in the guide.
Mirage Rom ...VM670-CM7.2-IHO-04152013_MiRaGe.zip
GAPPS ...Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
There's the links, check Md5 sums after you download them, start Andy's guide at step number 7 you should be good to go. Read the guide a few times to familiarize yourself with it.

Just take your time and follow directions.

Although it might not have appeared to do anything it probably fixed the recovery loop you where in, hopefully. A factory reset from a V that is or had the root supposedly removed (the only safe way to remove root is the ZV9 security update that returns the phone and the recovery to a totally bone stock state, which obviously wasn't used) is the worst thing to do to a V. It usually will hard brick the phone or leave you in a recovery loop.

Try the MiRaGe ROM from the IHO GitHub Wiki and the 20110828 gapps from the Gapps section link in the ATR Guide sticky.

If after following my guide that badblue1 linked you to and it still won't get past the recovery when you try to boot into the new ROM then we have a problem. We also have solutions, so don't worry to much (my first V was a stone cold brick, but I managed to bring it back to life and then gave it to a friend who really need a smartphone).

Follow this guide to the letter http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html Since you already have zengarden, start at part 7 in the guide.
Mirage Rom ...VM670-CM7.2-IHO-04152013_MiRaGe.zip
GAPPS ...Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
There's the links, check Md5 sums after you download them, start Andy's guide at step number 7 you should be good to go. Read the guide a few times to familiarize yourself with it.

Just take your time and follow directions.

thanks trying it now, wish me luck... I feel like such an idiot, lol

when i wipe data/factory reset (step 8a) I dont see an option for step b (wipe cache partition). When I did wiped the dalvik cache its said "no app2sd partition found skipping format of /sd-ext

is that right?

D. Go to mounts and storage. Select format boot,system,data,and cache.

Once everything is wiped, and or formatted, go to E.

E. Go to install package option (install zip from sd card in older recovery's)

F. Select the option that best describes what you need to do (go to select zip from sd card if older recovery), select the Gingerbread ROM.zip that you put on the root of the sd card (When done go back and select the gapps if using the manual option or an older recovery). When done hit the back button once.

G.,When all this is done if you selected the manual option then select the reboot option, then the android option("reboot system now" if older recovery).

If you selected an auto boot after install option, then the phone will auto boot into the New ROM.

followed these steps and it rebooted back to recovery no change...

when installing gapps I got the error

E:cant open /sdcard/downloads/gapps.zip

ps. ok I got the gapps to install and rebooted, it went right back to the Zen recovery...

The ROM install instructions are for the ZenGarden recovery and the old recovery's. I tried very hard to clearly differentiate between the two. If you have the ZenGarden recovery all you have to do is select all 4 options in the wipe section. You don't need to format anything.

If you have one of the older recovery's you will need to wipe and format everything but the SD card (this is where all you data is stored including the ROM and Gapps).

Please tell us again what recovery you installed so we can figure out what happened.

It should not be this hard unless you made a mistake somewhere (even I make mistakes from time to time), so look over the instructions a couple of times and see if you can figure out what you did wrong. If you still need help let us know what recovery you have and where you put the ROM and Gapps on the SD card.

The ROM install instructions are for the ZenGarden recovery and the old recovery's. I tried very hard to clearly differentiate between the two. If you have the ZenGarden recovery all you have to do is select all 4 options in the wipe section. You don't need to format anything.

If you have one of the older recovery's you will need to wipe and format everything but the SD card (this is where all you data is stored including the ROM and Gapps).

Please tell us again what recovery you installed so we can figure out what happened.

It should not be this hard unless you made a mistake somewhere (even I make mistakes from time to time), so look over the instructions a couple of times and see if you can figure out what you did wrong. If you still need help let us know what recovery you have and where you put the ROM and Gapps on the SD card.

I boot into the ZenGarden 2.0.3.3-t

I put the files on my SDcard, there are not in any folders (there is nothing on the sd card at all) just the ROM and Gapps files.

I did the steps from 7 on, and after installing the ROM and Gapps it rebooted back in ZenGarden

He has zengarden Andy, and i'm pretty sure he got confused and did the wipe options all wrong.

After that i don't know, he needs to tell us exactly what he did, or didn't? !?!?

He has zengarden Andy, and i'm pretty sure he got confused and did the wipe options all wrong.

After that i don't know, he needs to tell us exactly what he did, or didn't? !?!?

yeah I most likely did...

A. wipe data/factory reset

B. wipe cache partition.

C. wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
Now that your rooted, YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE . This will mess up your phone and require a PC and much gnashing of your teeth, and possible loss of some system functionality.

D. Go to mounts and storage. Select format boot,system,data,and cache.
I followed this ^ but I didnt see a wipe cache partition in Zen Garden.... then I installed the files (ROM & Gapps) then rebooted

i messed up huh?

Yea in zengarden you just need to do the 4 wipe options ,they take care of all mounting and formatting.

I hope Andy can help from here, i get up at 4:30 am, i gotta get some sleep.

Good luck,don't worry we'll get it figured out.

Back
Top Bottom