• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] Remove Stock Swype 2.2 and Install ANY Version

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any bricked devices, loss of data, zombie infections, Rage fits, or thermonuclear warfare caused by this guide. Oh, and also, if you succeed, your warranty is now void. PLEASE follow the instructions to a T.

This guide will show you how to remove the preinstalled Swype 2.2 and replace it with any version, including the Beta with Swype Installer

For those that have tried, simply uninstalling won't work, nor will any Swype.apk replace the version installed. I did some poking around, and found a way to erase the old Swype, so that any version can be installed.

This guide is for ROOTED users only. If you haven't rooted your device yet, go to http://androidforums.com/huawei-impulse-4g/453049-guide-root-cwm-recovery-impulse-4g.html
for my Root and CWM Recovery guide.

PRE-REQUISITE: Root, and disable Swype as your keyboard, meaning, switch to Android keyboard.

Step 1 (Pick your Swype)
Go ahead and download the version of Swype you want. I went with the Swype Beta Installer because I was used to the way 3.2 felt. Any Swype.apk with a HVGA resolution will do. Copy it to your SD card if you downloaded it on your computer.

Step 2 (Proper File Explorer)
The file explorer we need is one that can access the root directory. The one I picked was Root Explorer. You can either buy it from the Market for $4, or find it through Googling (I bought mine, support your developers, people). Once its installed, open it and SuperUser will ask you for permission to add it to the SuperUser exception list. Pick allow and continue.

Step 3 (File Hunting)
Using Root Explorer, go to \system\app, and a list of .apk and .odex files will be there for each and every app installed on the device. In the top right, there is a small button that says 'Mount R/W'. Touch it, and it will change to 'Mount R/O'. That means you mounted the root system as Read/Write, which allows you to paste, delete, and change the files inside the directory. Scroll way down toward the bottom, and you'll fine Swype.apk and Swype.odex. Long press each, one at a time, and select Delete and hit Yes to confirm. After you delete those two files, go to sysem\lib. Press the magnifying glass to open the search bar, and type in 'Swype'. One file/folder should be returned by the search with the word Swype in it. Delete that too.

ALMOST DONE, REBOOT THE DEVICE.

Step 4 (Nail in the Coffin)
If you want to be absolutely sure that the stock install of Swype is gone, go to Manage Applications and search through the 'All' tab. It should be gone. Go ahead and open the Swype.apk you downloaded and install it.

That's all there is to it. If you want to get rid of the AT&T bloatware (Navigator, YP, MobiTV, etc), follow the same steps, but delete the .apk and .odex for each of the apps. They're easy to find, look at the names and icons. There are no files for them in the \lib directory, only in the \system directory, so feel free to delete any stock apps you don't want to use. WARNING: Don't delete anything that looks like its important. Chances are, if you can't tell exactly what it does by the name, keep it, its probably important.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did. I've been nerdgasming over it for a while, and felt I needed to share it.

-WaterDuffalo

Back
Top Bottom