• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help-totally confused. I'm rooted but want to use the DU rom...

gale65

Android Enthusiast
My phone is rooted via CF auto root. After I rooted I didn't do anything else-I'm just using the stock rom. I have a lot of little issues on my phone so I want to try the dirty unicorn one but I am clueless what to do next. Do I download all of the files in the DU thread? Then what? Is there a dummies guide to this? I looked at the rooting guide which is how I did the original root but how do I get the dirty unicorn on my phone?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

eta: I have the notification for 4.4.3 but never downloaded or installed it. Do I need to do that first to get rid of the notification? I would rather not unlock the bootloader again. I hate trying to recover the stuff on my phone. thanks

thanks. We're expecting severe weather today and possibly outages so I'm going to wait-just in case I mess something up and need my phone.

Hi gale65,
We can get you running Dirty Unicorns with No problem!
OK, first off Great choice on deciding to go with Dirty Unicorns as your custom ROM. I'm very confident that you'll impressed with it's stability, performance, features and how smooth and fast it runs!

So, just to clarify... You have unlocked the bootloader and have only rooted your N5?
You haven't installed a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM yet?

If yes... Then first you need to install a custom recovery like TWRP, CWM, or Philz CWM based recovery. Personally I do prefer TWRP because of the features... Charging while in recovery mode, OTG support, seperate EFS backups and more.
Custom Recovery's will allow you to create and restore nandroid backups and flash custom ROM's/kernels... etc.

To install a custom recovery is pretty easy, just follow the custom recovery section in Rxpert83's N5 Rooting guide here - http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-all-things-root/790362-nexus-5-rooting-guide.html

If you already have a custom recovery installed or once you have one installed. Before you do anything else to your N5, you need to make a nandroid backup of you device and a backup of your EFS partition. This will allow you to recover your N5 to how it is right now, if something was to happen or go wrong. A nandroid is a snap shot of how the device is setup and you can restore to that setup easily. The EFS partition is where the phones IMEI/MEID, radio setting and etc.. are stored on the N5 and that's why it's important to backup the EFS partition.
Once the you make a the nandroid and EFS backups, it's best to not only save those on your N5, but you also need to save them safely off of the device on like a PC or hard drive, somewhere that they are accessible.

Once that's all done... Actually flashing and installing DIrty Unicorns is pretty easy.
Download the DU ROM and just one of the Gapps packages of your choice to your N5.
Reboot your N5 to recovery and perform a factory data reset/wipe, (depending on the recovery installed) just don't wipe the internal storage of the device.
Click Install and navigate to the DU ROM and select to install and once that's finished installing, flash the Gapps package also... Reboot and success!

That's the basics of it... Once we know which recovery your using, we can give you more detailed instructions and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

I rooted it using cf-auto root right after I got it. After that I did nothing. After the storms pass through tonight I'm going to go for it!

eta: I have TWRP downloaded and ready to use.

I rooted it using cf-auto root right after I got it. After that I did nothing. After the storms pass through tonight I'm going to go for it!

eta: I have TWRP downloaded and ready to use.

That's Great!!
You got TWRP downloaded and ready to use. Once you have it installed, boot to TWRP and select "Backup", on the left side uncheck all of the boxes except for the EFS check box. Then swipe the slider to the right to confirm/complete the EFS backup. Now you have a separate EFS backup.
Once the EFS is done backing up (it will only take a couple seconds) press the Home button and select "Backup" again. This time make sure that System/Boot/Data are selected, then swipe the slider to the right to confirm/complete the backup... You now have a stock nandroid backup.
Connect your N5 to your PC and open it up. Navigate to and open the TWRP folder and copy the EFS and nandroid backup to your PC.

Then your ready for the process of installing Dirty Unicorns!

OK I installed twrp and did backups of the system/boot/data and efs. I put the backups on my pc. So now I"m downloading the DU rom but how do I know which gapps file to download? Is there a chart showing what the differences are?

eta: I read on the google+ community that the swiftkey fix will be in the rom released Monday so I'm going to wait and download then.

for gapps, do I just base it on what google apps I need? Here are the apps I use most:
dolphin (an older version-I don't like the gesture button on the new ones)
swiftkey
acar
1weather (I can switch though)
gsam battery monitor
out of milk
camera zoom
gasbuddy
words w/ friends
what's the phrase
scramble w/ friends
songpop
dice w/ buddies
evernote
dropbox
instagram
pinterest
dominos (important. lol)
gmail
maps
go sms pro

and a few other minor ones

OK I installed twrp and did backups of the system/boot/data and efs. I put the backups on my pc. So now I"m downloading the DU rom but how do I know which gapps file to download? Is there a chart showing what the differences are?

eta: I read on the google+ community that the swiftkey fix will be in the rom released Monday so I'm going to wait and download then.

for gapps, do I just base it on what google apps I need? Here are the apps I use most:
dolphin (an older version-I don't like the gesture button on the new ones)
swiftkey
acar
1weather (I can switch though)
gsam battery monitor
out of milk
camera zoom
gasbuddy
words w/ friends
what's the phrase
scramble w/ friends
songpop
dice w/ buddies
evernote
dropbox
instagram
pinterest
dominos (important. lol)
gmail
maps
go sms pro

and a few other minor ones

Basically, you can use any Gapps package really. DU offers links to two different packages. One is a blacked Out version of Gapps (meaning the app backgrounds are black instead of white) called DU_TBO and the other is one of the Paranoid Android (PA). If in doubt, go with PA, they are very reliable.

If you want to pick your Gapps package in terms of whats included (some folks don't want everything), you can go to this page and pick which size Gapps package you want. All will work fine.

[GAPPS][4.4.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-07-08] - XDA Forum

I personally use the blacked-Out Gapps offered in the OP of the DU thread. :)

OK done! Now do I have to reinstall all of my apps, fix my wallpaper, icons, etc or does one of the backups have all that info?

Oh good-thanks! I have been playing for hours and don't think I'll ever find all the tweakable things on this rom. :D

Auto root, check.

Downloaded TWRP App on phone from Gplay store, check(is this right?).

Installed Busybox after twrp prompted to do so.

open twrp manager app, touch install twrp, then select device hammerhead, touch install recovery.
is the path
if=#file# of =/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery"}

the right location? The warning here is very clear and I am unsure. Thanks

I have seen directions for using GooManager to do install custom recovery too..

Back