• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I get back to stock?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Long story short, I need to get my phone back to stock so I can sell it. The problem is, my SD card got wiped and my stock backup is now gone. I haven't flashed a custom recovery. Can I just boot into stock recovery and get back to root somehow?

I don't have the stock recovery, but you should be able to boot into recovery and wipe the phone. That should get you back to stock and wipe out all your user apps. Do not register any accounts when the phone comes back up. Just skip all setup wizards.

Oh right... if you have a custom ROM installed, you must have unlocked and therefore would need to relock. Understand that the phone will indicate "relocked", not "locked" so a savvy user will know if the phone has been modified (so don't lie about it =;-).

My impressions were that he wanted to remain rooted,just erase his personal data. So both replys were good,depending on the OPs intentions. :)

Just relock then run the ruu. It will restore the phone to how it was new

Hi, could you elaborate on this a little more....I am in the same situation, only my phone will not boot all the way now. I have the original email from htcdev and should be able to relock, but where can I get an original ruu? Thanks in advance.

Thanks Scotty, dont mean to hyjack this thread from the OP, but when I type a OEM command (fastboot oem rebootruu). I get a bootloader command error. Any suggestions? Thanks.

btw I am trying the method 1(mini ruu) Thanks.

Thanks Scotty, dont mean to hyjack this thread from the OP, but when I type a OEM command (fastboot oem rebootruu). I get a bootloader command error. Any suggestions? Thanks.

is that how youre typing it? if so thats your prollem. it needs to be exactly as shown:
fastboot oem rebootRUU (RUU in caps)

copy/paste of command lines takes out a large margin of error ;)

is that how youre typing it? if so thats your prollem. it needs to be exactly as shown:
fastboot oem rebootRUU (RUU in caps)

copy/paste of command lines takes out a large margin of error ;)

Ok Thanks....my wife hyjacked my cord this morning so I will try it this afternoon.....something as simple as caps and I can't figure it out...why am I messing with this....lol

I don't know if this is related, but I found that there are 2 versions of fastboot out there. The older one does not support the "fastboot oem" option. I had to snag the later version out of the SDK toolkit.

Back
Top Bottom