• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Htc desire z/g2 vs motorola droid 2 global

Tough choice. Both have average to mediocre battery life but not as worst as some other Androids. Both are sturdy, well built and quite beautiful pieces. The weakness of the HTC is the Z hinge, which to my point of view is sturdy enough but you wish should be more assuring. The Droid 2 Global on the other hand, has a membrane type keyboard rather than real buttons.

Droid 2 Global has Motoblur 3. Haven't seen it, so I can't judge it. HTC Sense version of the Desire Z is fantastic. G2 offers the raw simplicity many want of non modified Android.

Both (including the Droid 2 sibling of the Global) are very well rated phones from the reviews I've seen and surveys made.

I really can't help you much. It will boil down to your carrier, Verizon vs. T-Mobile. The Droid 2 Global also has an extra 400MHz clock speed edge over the Desire Z, 1.2GHz vs. 800MHz, although clock speed don't tell the whole story (the Desire Z feels quite fast).

Upvote 0
I will be using it outside the US, so it doesn't matter the carrier.

The processor on the Desire z even underclock to 800 mhz is still really fast because is a second generation snapdragon. I see some people overclock it to 1.2 ghz and get over 2k on quadrant benchmark while the droid 2 global only get around 1650.

The only thing stooping me to get a desire z is the hinge mechanism (It looks like it can brake easily), and the bigger price over the droid 2 global around 450$ for d2d and no less than 500 for the desire z.

Upvote 0
Well the thing about the Droid 2 Global is, that its only sold from Verizon as a CDMA/GSM hybrid phone. AFAIK, you need a active Verizon account and you can't simply use the phone as a GSM phone. Since you said its going to be used outside of the US, where Verizon doesn't have service (since they are predominantly CDMA), that would probably be a problem.

Upvote 0
Some Verizon phones, like the Blackberry Tour 9630, Bold 9650, Storm 9530, as well as the Droid 2 Global and the upcoming HTC Merge, have SIM slots even though the phone is mainly CDMA. The SIM is actually intended to be used with Vodafone SIMs, as Vodafone owns 49% of Verizon. I thought Verizon might be issuing SIMs for those traveling, so it can the phone can be used with any carrier in partner with Verizon for roaming.

If the phone can be unlocked, there is nothing stopping them from being used in any Asian or European carrier. I know, I got a Blackberry Tour 9630 with Verizon markings. Got it unlocked and working with any GSM SIM, and I sold the phone, which is now somewhere serving its new master in the Philippines, which is predominantly GSM.

As for the Desire Z, having owned one, I shouldn't worry about the hinge. It looks robust enough.

If you want a phone to be used outside of the US, its not hard to find unlocked Desire Z with Asian-Euro 900 2100 frequency. That would actually be my first choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones