• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Evo Rooting Help with Gingerbread 2.3.5

ok so i want to root it. i forgot to backup my apps so i did. and i started over again. the problem is, is that when i pressed the power+volume down button, it doesnt do anything!! what the heck?!?
Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!
Make sure that you have fastboot off and also that you power off first then do the power off+ vol down thing.

I'm not a pro at this so here are my questions.

1. What is the recovery slot?!
2. I ran the Android Flasher but it said "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue."

I'm not a pro at this so here are my questions.

1. What is the recovery slot?!
2. I ran the Android Flasher but it said "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue."

The recovery slot is where you choose recovery and then you select the browsing option. You will then need to search for the amon ra file.

Hey guys. I'm a noob at this so could you help me at these problems?!? Plleeassee!?!??

1. I tried using the ADB method and once I got to the command window and typed the following, they said they couldn't find it. What should I do/what's wrong?
2. Once I'm done with that, what do they mean by putting it on my "card"? Do they mean my SD card? If they do mean that, how?
3. Can you give me easier steps? I don't understand the rest of the steps. I did step 1 and I unlocked my bootloader. So now what?

What if I used unrEVOked?

Hey guys. I'm a noob at this so could you help me at these problems?!? Plleeassee!?!??

1. I tried using the ADB method and once I got to the command window and typed the following, they said they couldn't find it. What should I do/what's wrong?
2. Once I'm done with that, what do they mean by putting it on my "card"? Do they mean my SD card? If they do mean that, how?
3. Can you give me easier steps? I don't understand the rest of the steps. I did step 1 and I unlocked my bootloader. So now what?

When you said you did step 1...do you mean the HTC dev method?
If so, you can stop there and be able to flash roms etc.
Unless you want to be truly s-off, then are you following the Captains guide?

Hi guys. I totally appreciate this forum, especially the instructions when rooting but I think it's a little overwhelming with the abundant replies and such so can you go to my thread and reply some of my questions? It's called: HTC Evo Rooting Help with Gingerbread 2.3.5. I made this because I need help! I havent got to recovery and I'm at a deadline. I want to make sure I root my phone soon so I won't procrastinate about it later. Thanks!

Hi guys. I totally appreciate this forum, especially the instructions when rooting but I think it's a little overwhelming with the abundant replies and such so can you go to my thread and reply some of my questions? It's called: HTC Evo Rooting Help with Gingerbread 2.3.5. I made this because I need help! I havent got to recovery and I'm at a deadline. I want to make sure I root my phone soon so I won't procrastinate about it later. Thanks!

do you have a link? i do not see a thread for it. you can always create your own thread here.

ocnbreeze replied to you in post 1204(?) and asked you a couple questions.:)
Perhaps you missed it cuz he replied to someone else in that same post.:p

ok so i made a thread for you

and here was my response from your previous post:

ocnbrze said:
1.ok did you enter the command from the android folder? do you have the
correct files which is listed in the guide?
2.yes the card is the sd card. i will edit it so it will not confuse others.
3.well that will be up to you. with the HTCdev method you can flash roms and kernels like any other rooted phone. only difference is that you can't update your radios and your bootloader will be watermarked.

using unrevoked will require that you follow captain throwback's method to downgrade your bootloader so that you can use either unrevoked or revolutionary to get you fully rooted.

Hey guys. If you read my message from "[Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide" you know I want you to come here to answer some noobish questions.

First, I can't seem to understand recovery slots. What are they and how do I get there?

How do I get to recovery?

Does unrevoked work? What are the cons? I've heard it's not as good as you think.

More questions but that's all I could think of since I haven't got that far.

Once you have a recovery you can access it by turning phone off and then press and hold volume down and press power. Unrevoked3 works great never had a problem with it and its about as easy as it gets. Not sure what you mean by recovery slots?

Hey guys. If you read my message from "[Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide" you know I want you to come here to answer some noobish questions.

First, I can't seem to understand recovery slots. What are they and how do I get there?

Does unrevoked work? What are the cons? I've heard it's not as good as you think.

If you are talking about the recovery slot mentioned in the step for Android Flasher, (step 6) it is one of the options on the Android flasher screen where you would click browse to find the amon ra img file

Edit: I assume you are following this guide:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

1. recovery slot is just referring to the section in android flasher for recovery. once you have that checked then you will need to select the browse drop down menu and find the recovery .img file

2.unrevoked will not work with your hboot. you will need to downgrade it and then you can use unrevoked if you wish.

and there is no cons with unrevoked that i know of. not sure what you have heard about unrevoked, but it is a great root tool.

Back
Top Bottom