• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I don't get on with the S3's keyboard. What alternatives have you tried?

Internaut

I'm really not enjoying the S3's keyboard and much prefer the one that came with my 3GS. However, I understand there are alternatives and Swiftkey is often recommended. Is anyone happily using this on their S3?

Also, is there any way to get the vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard onto the S3 - I'm told this too is better than Samsung's efforts.

Thanks,
J

i too thought the standard keyboard was awful.

I got the free trial of 'Swiftkey X' from the Play Store and was so impressed by it that within a few days I bought the full version. It's very good indeed.

I've been a Swiftkey fan for a long time, their current beta is great.

Also like Swype, you can sign up for the beta and install it.

I'm a huge Swype fan. Apparently there is an issue with the S3 and the Swype beta. But there is a workaround in this thread.

Update July 6th: Swype has fixed the beta and there are no more issues with Swype beta and the SIII!

I absolutely love Swiftkey. I used it on my old S2 for months! What I love about it is its ability to learn how you type. So if 90% of the time when I type "How", the next words are "are you?", Swiftkey will give me the option to type those out without even typing them.

Though I used to use Swype before that on my S2. It was good (much better than the stock keyboard - I too hated it :P), but sometimes autocorrect was annoying. Got to watch out for that if you go with Swype :P

Thanks everyone. As I'm used to tapping (on my 3GS) rather than sliding, I've bought Swiftkey X and it's a massive improvement to me over the Samsung keyboard (better than iOS, I think). I will give sliding a try when I get a minute - a colleague who has a Motorola Android phone swears by it.

Yes there are several ICS keyboards in the play store. They have been pulled from the keyboard on the Galaxy Nexus and some have made improvements to them. Just search ICS keyboard in the play store and you will find a couple of them to try out.

You can probably get a refund for swift key if you prefer it!

My response is a bit late now for the OP but I'd always advocate getting a trial version before buying the full version in case you don't like it. The good thing about the Swiftkey X free app is that it is the full version, just locked down to one month's use before it expires. That way you can see if you prefer it before shelling out for the full version.

This is one thing I love about developers and hope they never stop; create a free version and a paid version. If the free version is any good, you can bet i'll buy the full version to remove the adverts or time constraints etc.

I hate buying an app without testing it first.

I don't have my siii yet, but I am currently using the FlexT9 keyboard on my dinc. I love it and am hoping it works just as well on the siii.

True enough, but wHy waste the cash when you don't have to?

Hi, just to answer your question. I have tried many applications but SwiftKey X is unbeatable for predictions. Nowadays I do not have to write anything I just type 1 letter and the whole word comes out ready. This is in cases where you have used the word several times. The interface, language, program and predictions are amazing. I generally hate to "buy" any sort of software, but this is my best purchase ever.

Highly recommended.

Another vote for swiftkey. I have it and swype but keep going back to swiftkey. Since it really learns your habits and words it becomes really quick for texting (which i do a lot of).

I have Swype for my HD2 and my wife has Slide-It for her Galaxy S3.

I think I prefer her Slide-It, but could not be without that type keyboard.

It takes a bit of getting use to, but once you have its a LOT quicker.

Have a search on Youtube for those 2 to have a look to give you an idea of how they work (if you have not seen them already).

FYI - I received my SIII yesterday. Went to the Swype beta site with my browser, signed in and installed the beta as I have before on the Droix X. Swype must have fixed the errors people were receiving before. I have had NO PROBLEMS installing and using Sywpe on the SIII!

Back
Top Bottom