• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS: Changing slide unlock apps?

i was looking for this as well, and yeah, disabling, or freezing, the default SMS app made Handcent pop up there. i can't imagine who thought it would be a good idea to add a handy feature like that without the ability to change the apps it launches. even to something other than phone, sms and camera.

granted, those are probably the three things you're going to want straight off the power button quickly, but options are supposedly what android's all about. if i want to make one of them launch my favorite android-based forum community, i should be able to do so.

I tried this and now I cannot receive MMS messages.

make sure you set another SMS app as default and make sure it is the one recieving mesages before you disable the stock one.

Upvote 0
How do you make another SMS app default?

go into the stock SMS app, uncheck the box that makes it the one being used (i forget the exact wording, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out), then go into handcent, or go, or whatever you use, and check the same, or similar-sounding, box and it should default to that one, then freeze the stock app.

i'd advise you have someone send you a test text before freezing, just to make sure that you're ONLY getting notifications from your selected app, and not anything else.

Upvote 0
go into the stock SMS app, uncheck the box that makes it the one being used (i forget the exact wording, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out), then go into handcent, or go, or whatever you use, and check the same, or similar-sounding, box and it should default to that one, then freeze the stock app.

i'd advise you have someone send you a test text before freezing, just to make sure that you're ONLY getting notifications from your selected app, and not anything else.

I did not see any setting to make it default, but I did uncheck all (notifications et al) and then disabled the stock text app. Now Go SMS appears at the bottom of the circle. Test text sent, seems to work. Thanks:thumbup:

Upvote 0
Weird, I'm using Handcent, It's always been the main app. I've disabled all OEM text checkboxes I see, and then I even disabled and re-enabled Handcent, getting the pop up saying that this will "totally disable" the stock app. Rebooted even.... STILL get the stock app as the slide unlock offering when I boot up.

I'm on the OTA ICS, rooted. Gonna try freezing the stock app app w/Titanium. Which I'm seriously not sure is a good idea. :-/ Hmm...

Upvote 0
OK... No freeze... I was using Go Launcher, and it seems that it wasn't allowing me to get into the app manager from the app drawer as the stock one seems to do.

I switched to the stock launcher, went to the App Drawer and went into manage apps. This allowed me to see the stock text app and "disabled" it. And now Handcent shows on the slide screen.

I alays thougt thet handcent used some aspects or parts of the stock messaging app to function. Seems not. Works ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones