• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Intercept Got Wet, Now No Phone Microphone

Hello, I signed up here a year and a half ago, and I believe this is the first time I've had to post looking for help.

I love my Samsung Intercept. Yeah, it's slow sometimes, but it's only $25 a month on VM, so I deal with it. It's perfect for my needs.

My Intercept got wet last week; I'm still not sure how.

First symptom: while charging I got a "battery is too cold or too hot, charging distrupted" message, which I'd never seen before. When I went to pull the battery out to reset it, a small gush of water ran out!

I removed the battery and micro SD card, and put the phone into a bag of silica desiccant packages overnight. All functionality has come back fine...or at least I thought it had, until I realized over the weekend that if I call out (or get a call) the other party cannot hear me.

The microphone does work for voice searches / commands, entering a Navigation destination by voice, just not for speaking on the phone.

Have any of you seen (and recovered from) a similar situation? Any hints would be appreciated.

I have now removed the screws that hold the back cover on, and was able to pry the cover up a little, and it's back in the bag of desiccant, hoping against hope that it'll help dry deeper inside.

Should I just give up and buy a new one? At least they're now $80 at amazon, vs the $249 I paid...but I'd still rather just fix my old one.

Thanks in advance!

You did the right thing by putting it in a bag of silica, but the bare minimum you should leave it is 48 hours. The damage may have already been done (sorry), but there's certainly no harm in trying to dry it again.

You'd probably need to buy another though.

Thanks for the response, El Presidente. The second trip into the bag of silica made no difference; I ordered a new Intercept today.

But I do appreciate the input! I'll keep this in mind for (the inevitable) next time!

Back
Top Bottom