• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it harmful to charge a smartphone while it is on?

T

The Tiger

Think about it. While it is turned on, the CPU, the RAM and other sensitive areas of the phone are still actively working. Now when a charger is plugged in, a source of unclean power is added. We all know no charger is perfect, and no charger can deliver perfectly clean 5V DC free from AC interference, fluctuations, harmonics and AC noises.

While the CPU, RAM etc. are working through the battery power, it's getting an almost perfect power source (except the fluctuations due to discharging).

So does turning off the phone while charging increase the longevity of the phone?

Actually the phone always runs off the battery, whether you are charging or not. All the charger does is charge the battery.

The things which will degrade the battery longevity quickest are deep discharge or overheating. The phone should shut down before you reach deep discharge, but I'd personally avoid running it empty too often, and likewise I'd personally not recommend running it hard for extended periods while charging in order to avoid charging while hot. But no, I'd not worry about turning the phone off to charge it - I never turn mine off, and have no problems with battery longevity.

Reactions: whatnow14
Upvote 0
Actually the phone always runs off the battery, whether you are charging or not. All the charger does is charge the battery.

The things which will degrade the battery longevity quickest are deep discharge or overheating. The phone should shut down before you reach deep discharge, but I'd personally avoid running it empty too often, and likewise I'd personally not recommend running it hard for extended periods while charging in order to avoid charging while hot. But no, I'd not worry about turning the phone off to charge it - I never turn mine off, and have no problems with battery longevity.

Thank you very much for your informative reply! :) Very grateful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones