• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there anything a tablet absolutely cannot do?

candroid11

Sep 21, 2011
I will need a new laptop by September since my MacBook has serious hardware issues that I am tired of wasting money on. I was thinking of getting the Transformer Prime with the docking station. Does this function entirely like a laptop computer when docked? I need to know if there is anything that I will not be able to do that a PC can. The reason why I am looking to get a tablet instead of just a PC is because I would like the functionality of a tablet, but also with the functionality of a laptop.

I will need to do things like word processing to a high quality. I will also be using it as a primary device. If this is an issue for a tablet then be sure to let me know.

There are a lot of things a tablet can't do that a PC can. For example using a tablet to layout publications is a nightmare. I don't even think there's a program for any tablet (iPad or Android) whose functionality equals even just MS Publisher. All Office programs for tablets are very much behind in functionality when compared to PCs. Photo- and video editing on a tablet is also limited when compared to the capabilities of a desktop computer.

There are a lot more stuff possible on a PC that aren't on a tablet. However, it would all depend on what you will be using it for anyway. If the features that a PC has over a tablet are stuff you won't be using, it wouldn't matter.

Also, if you plan on using Ubuntu, why bother buying a tablet in the first place? Get a netbook and use Ubuntu on it. A 1.6Ghz x86 single core processor in a Toshiba NB or HP dm1 is more powerful than a 1.5Ghz dual core ARM anyway.

Upvote 0
I agree with chanchan05, tablets have a lot of catching up to do in regards to data input. They are just really good with light output. If that makes any sense lol

There's just something about touch interface with the internet that has me hooked! I'm a news junky so my touchpad (ICS CM9) is like a magazine that never ends :D

Upvote 0
There are a ton of things laptops can do that tablets can't.

I'd suggest maybe considering a laptop that features the screen that you can rotate and fold back which turns it into a tablet like device. I've never owned one but I've used one a fair bit...it was quite nice..plus that was a few years ago so I'm sure they've gotten even better. The model I used was better than most or possibly all the tablets out right now

Upvote 0
Id like to see a 2 in 1, and with windows getting knee deep into mobile it could happen.

the docking station would be more of a laptop then a dock, bosting the power, storage and abilities of the tablet that can be removed and run on mobile OS and take what files it needs with it, so you could plug it into a different dock at say work and walla its all the same as at home.

cause if you were intended to carry around the docks, you would just buy a laptop ;) so it needs multi dock support to be viable on mass use.

Upvote 0
There are lots of things a PC can do that a tablet can't. Whether this matters depends on what you plan to use it for.

I use an Asus Slider (which is like the original TF only the keyboard is permanently docked; their specs are identical) as a netbook replacement. For what I do, this serves me just fine.

I'm a writer, so writing is most of what I do. Polaris Office, which the TF and the Slider come with, is actually a pretty good program. Advanced formatting may be problematic but I don't require that. The Slider also has a full USB port that you can hook a mouse into for more precise editing.

Overall, I am really happy I went this route. Small, light, with a touchscreen has been my requirement since it was barely even possible (mostly due to the fact that I have an RSI and need to keep my bag light - touch is also easier on me than a mouse). My last netbook was a Fujitsu P1610 I got in 2007, which I loved and used for over 4 years. But the power cord plug finally broke, and by that point the battery was going bad and it was so underpowered that it wasn't worth fixing.

The reason I hung on to it so long is because the prices for high-function netbooks like that never went down.

If you want a netbook that will do convertible mode and touch in a small form factor, you're still looking at over $1,000, which is hardly any better than what I paid in 2007.

But a tablet will do that, plus instant-on and better battery life, for less than half the price.

There are compromises though. Tablets are still limited, and I wouldn't recommend it as a primary device (but then I wouldn't recommend any kind of netbook as a primary device either).

First of all, setting it up to do what you want it to do takes a lot longer than it does on a PC. You have to find the RIGHT apps, and that can be time consuming.

Second, some apps don't have all the functionality that their PC counterparts do. For example, if I want to create a new folder in Google Docs, I can't do that in the Google Docs app - I have to go to Google Docs in my browser and do it that way.

Some websites don't work well on a tablet. For example, a forum I like to visit. The reply box is very janky when accessing it from the browser on my tablet. So much so that I ultimately wound up buying Tapatalk just because making a post had become such a nightmare. And Tapatalk did fix that problem, and I do love the app, but it cost me a couple bucks.

Over-all, I am happy I got a tablet instead of a netbook. It was half the price of what I would have spent, it's lighter and has better battery life than most netbooks, and it has a solid-state drive so that's one less thing to break. I can get things done quickly without waiting to boot up, and even if some of them are a bit more limited, most apps I use for work make the things I can do faster, not slower. There are even a few apps I prefer to their PC counterparts.

I also think tablet Android has gotten really good. I was concerned at first not being able to see what I have open in the panel might drive me insane and make multitasking difficult, but Android compensates for this well and actually I find it to be a breeze. Kudos to Android.

But it is not without compromise.

Upvote 0
Like others have stated before me, there is a lot of stuff a tablet can't do. I myself have a TF Prime and love it but I would hate doing a long paper or anything longer than just editing stuff on it. Now I don't have the dock but from reading others experiences, it makes it easier but still not as easy as on a laptop. If you are planning on running Ubuntu you might as well just get a cheap netbook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones