• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars VII

Italo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2010
Atlanta
It's official, J.J. Abrams has been announced as the director for Star Wars episode VII.

I'm definitely an Abrams fan. The early seasons of Lost were amazing. Fringe has been one of my favorite shows for the past 5 years. I really liked Super 8. I thought his Star Trek movie was exactly what that franchise needed (despite what some Trekies may think).

I'm not sure how I feel about him directing Star Wars though. For one, he's already working on Star Trek. I would like to see him continue to work on the that franchise. I would imagine some Trekies don't like him "switching sides" either.

The main thing is, will he be able to capture the feel of Star Wars. Abrams is the biggest sci-fi director/producer around, and a Star Wars fan himself. I'm sure he can pull off a great Star Wars film. I just hope it's not over stylized.

What do you guys think?

Seems like a lazy choice. He's ok, but I don't think his style fits. I'd rather see somebody like Joss Whedon.
I'm pretty sure Whedon is too busy with Disney's the Avengers/Shield to work of Disney's Star Wars right now. Maybe Episode 8 or 9? I'd imagine Whedon, Jon Favreau, Mathew Vaughn, Brian Singer and the like are still candidates for 8 and 9, assuming Abrams doesn't direct all three. Although, stylistically, I'm not sure any of them are a better choice, save maybe Whedon.

I'd love to see someone like Guillermo Del Toro or Neil Blomkamp get to make something Star Wars related. Not necessarily a main installment (I doubt Disney would sign off of that), but something set in the Star Wars universe, like Zach Snyder is supposedly doing.

Upvote 0
The original Star Wars movies had a classic, almost old fashioned style (even for the time) that helped them stand the test of time. They also had humor, which is one reason I think Whedon would have been a great choice. If Abrams goes all balls to the wall action and epileptic seizure inducing quick cuts it won't feel like Star Wars. Hopefully he'll have a completely different tone than he did with Trek. I definitely would be interested in what Del Toro could do with the universe, but, yeah, probably too risky for Disney to sign off on. Zach Snyder? Haven't heard what he's doing, but that guy is a hack. Terrible director imo, even if some of his stuff has been entertaining.

Upvote 0
Im not too sure how i feel about it either, dont get me wrong im a massive fan of fringe and the first star trek movie and I liked all his other films as well,

But at the end of the day having one director directing both of the two largest sci-fi franchises at the same time? I can see one of them suffering and unfortunately with the power of Disney behind star wars I think it will be trek that suffers. Which is a shame because I cant wait for the next film!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones