• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help laptop won't charge my phone anymore

Okay when it comes to computers and stuff I am the biggest idiot on earth. But for months I never had a problem charging my maxx on my laptop. The other night I plugged it in and my laptop made the little beeping sound that means its register something plugged in and my phone said it was charging. I was playing a game on my phone then went to sleep like I've done a thousand times but when I woke up my phone battery was at the same percentage it was when I first plugged it in. Looked on my laptop and none of the pop ups came on asking what I wanted to do like they always have. Tried a different USB port. Laptop beeped but same thing and it still wasn't charging. It charges when I plug it into the wall though (same cord) help? Also when I go to send a pic over text I can select the pic and hit send but it says the process com.motorola.messaging has stopped and kicks me out of my message. I can still text like normal though

The answer is simple - do not use your computer to charge your phone, except in emergency situations, and with the phone powered off. The phone requires more amps than the USB ports are able to provide in order to charge the battery. The stock charger provides 1.15 amps to charge the phone. Your computer's USB ports are probably nowhere near that - my Mac, for example, provides 500 ma at 5V, which is probably not enough to power the phone and charge the battery at the same time.

Is it, by chance, a yellow USB port? You'll sometimes find an "always on" or "on while charging" (ie.laptop is plugged in) USB port marked in yellow for just this purpose. There'll be a setting in BIOS to turn this feature on. This is how it works on Lenovo devices; not sure how universal it is amongst other brands.

Back
Top Bottom