• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop Coming?

Can we cut to the chase? Let's get this over with

1) Anyone having battery/camera/wifi issues after the update?
2) Did you do an FDR?
3) Why do we have to do an FDR, do they even test this stuff?

LOL. Nevertheless, can't wait to update the phone!!

hsb

Can we cut to the chase? Let's get this over with

1) Anyone having battery/camera/wifi issues after the update?
2) Did you do an FDR?
3) Why do we have to do an FDR, do they even test this stuff?
It's not just Android apps that run with caches - so does Android itself, it has two.

When a cache gets tangled or stale - as can happen with a major update and large caches as is Android's case, then any number of wild behaviors can surface.

This has been true for all Android for years. I've been unable to convince anyone in the supply chain to add the 6 lines of instructions necessary in the OTA update scripts to clear both Android caches while they're at it. (After all, what does the Internet know, customers can always do an FDR.)

Anyway, an FDR clears out the /cache and /data partitions, the latter being where apps, app updates, app private data, app caches, and Android's second cache are located.

The good news is that very often it's just the primary cache. Clearing that is easy and you'll lose nothing.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-117345/

If that doesn't work, then the FDR is your friend.

Making a backup helps when doing an FDR - unrooted Motorolas aren't full-backup friendly but you can save a lot with Super Backup or MyBackup - read reviews before deciding to trust either.

FWIW -

http://androidforums.com/threads/android-update-leeches-battery.921812/#post-6990245

One additional comment ...

We went through a period with the Android system when a Factory Data Reset did not do a Wipe Cache Partition. It was chaos. People were doing Factory Data Resets and problems remained.

My recommendation is do a Wipe Cache Partition.

I do a Wipe Cache Partition every Saturday as part of normal maintenance. I never have to think about it.

... Thom

5 am Eastern, no update yet. IIRC it was about this time of morning that Verizon unleased 4.4.4 for the DNA a few years ago.

5 am Eastern, no update yet. IIRC it was about this time of morning that Verizon unleased 4.4.4 for the DNA a few years ago.
While I tend to doubt that the update is coming out today, every update is slowly released for a few phones at a time the first few days to make sure that there isn't a major problem. So, it's not unusual if you didn't receive it yet, on the off chance it really updated today.

But, the latest "benefits of update" PDF on VZW is the update from last February...

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/benefits-droid-turbo-2-23-15.pdf

While I tend to doubt that the update is coming out today, every update is slowly released for a few phones at a time the first few days to make sure that there isn't a major problem. So, it's not unusual if you didn't receive it yet, on the off chance it really updated today.

But, the latest "benefits of update" PDF on VZW is the update from last February...

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/benefits-droid-turbo-2-23-15.pdf

I'm extremely skeptical of any release date for any Android OS update on Verizon due to their history of dragging feet. Considering this date was pinned to just one source, I figured it was iffy at best, but worth checking nonetheless.

And the good news is that Lollipop 5.1 is closer than I thought. VZW has been hustling to update the Turbo simulator so you can try out Lollipop! Notice the last date updated - 6/11/15.

I'm skeptical, but hopeful. 5.1 is being soak tested now according to some folks participating in the Motorola program, so it shouldn't be too much longer, barring any unforeseen cat's apostrophes.

Lol, no where in that link did vzw say 5.1 is coming on Weds.

As stated above, soak testing just started the other day.

I'm confused by your post.

You are downloading the update from the unsupported link that was posted earlier or you are downloading the update that you were notified from the OTA notification?

... Thom

I'm confused by your post.

You are downloading the update from the unsupported link that was posted earlier or you are downloading the update that you were notified from the OTA notification?

... Thom
I am getting the official update from Verizon - over the air. Not from the unsupported link (side load).

Back
Top Bottom