• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Made my own car mount :)

blazingwolf

Took some time today and hacked an existing car mount to work with the droid and place it in to car mode when I dock it.

I picked up some small magnets for $1.99 at Radio Shack. Attached the magnet in the correct location on the Droid and used liquid paper to mark the spot on the car mount. Took an existing generic window cling type car mount (cost me $7 when I bought it) and drilled a 5/32 hole in to the plastic. Inserted the magnet (which was a very tight fit so it won't go anywhere).

Now when I insert the Droid it goes in to car mode automatically. :D

(Used the Droid for the pictures of the magnet and mount. Omnia for the Droid in the Mount)
SmallMagnet.jpg

Magnetinmount.jpg

Carmode.jpg

Haha, darn you! You beat me to the post by a few minutes. :)

My post is a little different than yours though. Check out mine for the location to put the magnet. I like that you've already made a dock though, very nice!

Here's my post: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/15885-pictures-how-magnetic-docks-work.html

Consider making a way to flip that magnet whenever you want and you essentially just made a universal dock.

Thanks. :)

This dock is specifically for use in a vehicle so I wasn't worried about needing to flip the magnet. Good job on your post. :)

Back
Top Bottom