• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Media files not showing up

jl79

Android Enthusiast
Does anyone know exactly where this ROM reads it's Alarms, Notifications & Ringtones from as in file location? I have a complete copy of all three folders (Alarms, Notifications & Ringtones) in three different locations (#1: system/media/audio, #2: sdcard, #3: sdcard2) and anytime I go to choose a tone for something all the lists come up empty or incomplete. This is driving me nuts as I have been trying to figure this out for almost three days now. If anyone can shed some light I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

I don't get it, it's not working right - I think.

If you go settings, sounds, ringtone and + (add) at the top, it will find all of your media.

Under alarm from the clock, choose Music.

Haven't figured out notifications, will check and get back to you on the whole issue.

I don't get it, it's not working right - I think.

If you go settings, sounds, ringtone and + (add) at the top, it will find all of your media.

Under alarm from the clock, choose Music.

Haven't figured out notifications, will check and get back to you on the whole issue.

Thanks...I'm at a loss with the whole issue. I don't know if it has something to do with the whole storage thing with sdcard & sdcard2 (still can't figure out how this works and why it is the way it is) or what. The other thing i can't figure out is why they dont show up when I have copied them directly to the ROM's system/media/audio folder...in the past when I have done this on my old EVO 4G the phone found them every time.Thanks for all your help!

I just confirmed with a team member that /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/xyz.mp3 is correct and working for them.

Not happening for me, so I'm redoing my media db.

Will let you know.

Ok.

Go to app manager, Media Storage, clear data.

Boot into recovery, clear cache and Dalvik.

Reboot, give it time, maybe 15 minutes, depending.

It's looking like you can use the known Android paths, or just /sdcard/Ringtones etc etc, as you'll find them.

Make sure that the audio files have recognized types, such as .mp3 at the end of the name.

Ok.

It's looking like you can use the known Android paths, or just /sdcard/Ringtones etc etc, as you'll find them.

Make sure that the audio files have recognized types, such as .mp3 at the end of the name.

Okay! Will give it a go later today!

Ok.

Good call EM, I never thought of clearing the Media Storage.

Do you think the SD card needs reformatted? Since he did the S-off method, might have worked some heeby geebies on the card. :confused:

Good call EM, I never thought of clearing the Media Storage.

Do you think the SD card needs reformatted? Since he did the S-off method, might have worked some heeby geebies on the card. :confused:

I am actually still S-ON...and I was wondering if that made a difference or not. As for EarlyMon's advice, I tried it but it did not work. My phone won't even recognize the 20 gigs of music I transferred on to sdcard2 anymore...I can see the music folder through file ES File Explorer and when I open it all the albums are there...but my phone and media player says it's not there.

I wish there was a way to disable that sdcard folder and just use sdcard2 kind of how the old EVO was. I think this may be some or all of the cause of my issues.

You can.

See our guide for the pointer on how to swap /sdcard and /sdcard2. :)

Thanks! Will do. Also is there a way to get the HTC MP3 player to recognize my music folder from sdcard2 instead of sdcard as the main directory?

for me i use google's play music.

I tried it in the past and for some reason all of my content would not upload to the cloud correctly. I had missing sounds & albums as well as a lot of my content unorganized. I am a stickler for having my albums organized and I use media money on my laptop to make sure all of my albums are strictly organized so I know it's not a problem with file properties. I guess I need to get my OCD problem checked out...LOL!

I tried it in the past and for some reason all of my content would not upload to the cloud correctly. I had missing sounds & albums as well as a lot of my content unorganized. I am a stickler for having my albums organized and I use media money on my laptop to make sure all of my albums are strictly organized so I know it's not a problem with file properties. I guess I need to get my OCD problem checked out...LOL!

were you trying the beta version? it was out for a while as a beta in the market. it has worked flawless for me. i really like it and i can pick and choose what i want on my device and which ones i want to stream....kind of cool. and it works on all of my devices.

were you trying the beta version? it was out for a while as a beta in the market. it has worked flawless for me. i really like it and i can pick and choose what i want on my device and which ones i want to stream....kind of cool. and it works on all of my devices.

It has been some time since I used it...I'm am not really sure what version it was.

Use TagScanner to scan and edit the ID3 tags of your files. That's what Google Play Music reads, the ID3 tags. I too am a giant stickler for my music to be perfectly organized. I feel your pain when you see your library all messed up.

I downloaded the software, but the "ID3" tag seems to be the only tag that it won't let me edit.

Are you stuck in the Music Renamer tab? Near the upper left you should see tabs, you want the one labelled Tag Editor. It edits every type of ID3 tag, that's part of why I swear by TagScanner. I think .ogg is the only type of media files I've had issues with.

Are they mp3 files?

You know what, this might explain why they won't show up. If they aren't a supported extension, they won't work.

MP3 obviously works, do WMA files work?

I could have sworn we could use several different formats and it'd read them. Even m4a files. I'll have to read up and see, haven't thought about that in a while. Must have hit the delete button on that memory....

You know what, this might explain why they won't show up. If they aren't a supported extension, they won't work.

MP3 obviously works, do WMA files work?

I could have sworn we could use several different formats and it'd read them. Even m4a files. I'll have to read up and see, haven't thought about that in a while. Must have hit the delete button on that memory....

WMA does indeed work. I know MP3 and M4A do as well. I had issues with OGG and I think MP4, but aside from that I haven't run into any issues with any other formats.

M4A does, I think it's ID3 version 2 or 3. It's one of the latest forms of ID3 tag. TagScanner does miss a bit of information on those sometimes. Just convert them to MP3 and everything should be okay. I never liked M4A, it doesn't work with everything and they're just odd balls.

Back
Top Bottom